Delta Business v BA Business

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

Haggis,

have you considered Aer Lingus DUB-DFW? The EI lounge in Dublin is better than that used by Delta. Not sure how farea & ties compare to the other airlines, though.

Californian
    Participant

Unfortunately, Aer Lingus doesn’t fly nonstop to DFW. So you either have to change in Boston and fly Jet Blue in economy on a relatively long leg or you change in Chicago and fly a United Express flight to Dallas. With the need to clear US immigration in Dublin traveling via Boston you don’t have much time to enjoy the Aer Lingus Gold Circle lounge which is located before US immigration. Alternatively, I believe the Chicago flight is one of the ones that does not clear US customs in Dublin. So, you get time in the Dublin lounge but pay for it going through immigration and security, not to mention changing terminals in Chicago. I have flown to Dublin on an Aer Lingus connection and note their US code share partners don’t really know how to reroute you if you miss connect. And, with summer thunderstorms and frequent delays at US hubs which affect domestic flights first, the risk of a missed connection is high.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Haggis73

You could look at Delta back through JFK. This way you get the completely flat bed on the 767 product they offer on this route (on most services). Downside is the long connection but might be more comfortable. Could still go out through ATL? Or you can also look at using KLM and going through AMS in 1 direction and using DL the other.

Just a thought – can always talk to an agent if offering not coming up online.

Otherwise the new 77W on AA from DFW looks very good and would be tempted to use that though the hassle of going through Heathrow.

HongKongLady
    Participant

I was very impressed with the seat and service on a recent HK to Tokyo flight. Probably one of the best members of crew I have ever encountered and the food was delicious. It was the new seats but even with older seats the service would have been exceptional.
    I would do which route would be most suitable timing wise for you and I am sure whichever flight you choose you will enjoy.

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

DL JFK-DUB will be on a 757. The ATL will be on a 767 with old style seats. The last time I was in DUB, the EI BOS did not pre clear immigration.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi FCW

From 2nd June fthe DUB to JFK on Delta is a 767 with the updated Business Class cabin. Looks like a switch for the summer season as due to switch back to an older 767 in November.

ljrichards1
    Participant

All DL service in/out of LHR is on fully flat seats, regardless of destination in the US. They run mostly 767s on those runs. The 330s that you may find are ex-NW eqpt, and still have the angled flat seats, although they are allegedly sched for refit by Summer 2014. Also, If you are traveling BizElite on trans-oceanic, there are ticketing classes where your domestic US connections will be automatically upgraded to domestic First. Also, an ATL arrival from LHR will likely come into E or F in ATL, and a domestic to DFW likely departing from A or B. A bit of a hike, but an efficient airport that handles it’s volume (and connections) far more gracefully than LHR.

Haggis73
    Participant

Hi all,

Thanks for all your information, views and thoughts on this subject they have been greatly appreciated and very helpful.

In the end we booked Delta business going DUB -ATL-DFW and opposite for the return on an A330-200 (ex Northwest as far as I can tell, pity it’s not looking like the new Delta business but instead clam shell seating) and a MD-88 ATL-DFW.

Our decision was swayed by the following – pre-clearance, only one connection, Flying Blue miles, smaller business cabins so hopefully quieter, not being anywhere near Heathrow in the middle of the holiday season and a bit on the price, although we realise that the Delta product probably won’t be the same standard as the BA or new AA business.

Will try remember and do a little report on our experience upon our return.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Interesting choice; could I ask what your tickets cost, per person?

Haggis73
    Participant

Ticket cost was about £1550 each

VintageKrug
    Participant

Great deal vs. BA’s sale fare of £2,092 – though of course it’s not fully flat for much of your trip.

Good luck; I’ve heard good things from others about Delta recently so will be interested to hear more details of your experiences!

Haggis73
    Participant

Seemed the best deal at the time for flying in about 6 weeks time from Dublin.

Flight is a 9.20 am departure so hopefully no need for a sleeping, the return will be the main test as back overnight, but time will tell if it was a good choice or not.

BA prices seemed a bit mad, their business was cheaper than P/eco by over 100 euros and only about 80euros more than economy, if you had to go BA then you would be a fool not to go for the business option.

monitor
    Participant

I really do like the seats on the DL A330 and have flown them at least a dozen times Transatlantic. I actually find them more comfortable than most of the flat beds since I never take those completely flat.

The pre-clearance and the transfer at ATL instead of the “dreaded” LHR would certainly be the game-changers for me.

Note that the arrival into ATL will be a domestic arrival and there will be no need for a TSA screening. You simply jump on the train to your next Terminal. As much as I do not really like ATL, I will take that one any time over LHR for any purpose at any time of day on any day of the year.

Cobra3
    Participant

DL is only worth the ride if there is a decent price advantage. the Airbus 330s not only have not been fitted with fully lie-flat seats like their 777s and 767-400s, the A330s are all “aging”. i’d flown on them 3 times on International BizElite recently and found them all with some nagging functional faults which they probably are not fixing since they are all in queue to be refurbished in due course. DL fully lie-flat seats are now only available on all 777s, 747s and only the 767-400s. i guess they must now be working on refurbishing the A330s and 767-300s but should be some time before they are all done. the existing “slanting” flat seats on the 330s are among the worst in the industry’s Biz-class product. AA’s newest Biz beds are definitely a far superior product since it’s one of the newest kid on the block and also with BA in Oneworld.

LaurentPerrier
    Participant

Back in the real world, regular travellers recognise a good deal when they see it!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls