Delta Awards Travel Mileage Cost Increases

Back to Forum
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• Charbear
    Participant

Hi Forum. I would appreciate a sanity check on what others are seeing for mileage costs for award travel on Delta.

Two years ago (May 2019), we took a trip from Florida to Bergen Norway. We flew Comfort+. The cost was 86K miles per ticket and travel was booked in June 2018. Delta from Orlando to Amsterdam and then KLM to Bergen. Now three years later, we are looking to make this same trip again (booking now for May 2022). The least amount of miles for this same basic trip is 153K per ticket, a 78% increase. For the exact same flights, the cost is 205K miles per ticket, an increase of 138%. These are “what if” travel itineraries so I could review costs on the first day travel can be booked for a more true comparison so I can to eliminate the “cheaper” tickets being booked already variable.

These kind of increases just seen crazy to me. The cash price of these tickets is about the same as it was three years ago (maybe up 10-20% max). Compare that to the award travel increases of 78% – 138%. Am I missing something or do you think this is just Delta trying to recoup missing revenues due to Covid by making it so much more costly to redeem award travel? Any other ideas or suggestion. All will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls