Delta A330-200 Business Elite (business)

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

Haggis73
    Participant

DUB-ATL-DFW on Delta DL177 & DL2210

Checked in at approx 6.30am, airport starting to get busy but Delta priority boarding queue had one person in front of us. Check was a generic T2 ground staff who was friendly and informative. We were informed that we could use the lounge and that it was after security but before US preclearance, something I had read in other DUB T2 reviews but is still useful information to be told at check in.

Lounge was simple, check-in desk, approx 90 seats and some cold breakfast foods such as Pain au chocolate, mini croissants, some breakfast cereals, tea, coffee, juices. All in all enough for a snack before flying but not enough choice if you had an extended time in the lounge or required a full meal. It was however quiet and clean and again the staff were friendly and helpful. We were also informed at the desk that a Delta representative would come to the lounge when it was time to go to preclearance and boarding, we left the lounge on our own accord rather than relying on this service incase it did not happen so cannot comment whether it happened or not.

Preclearance was getting busy when we arrived although the queue moved relatively fast to get to two ground staff who were checking boarding cards and whether you were a US national or not, you then got filtered into an appropriate line whether you were US or non US national. In total we were approx 20 minutes from arrival to clearing immigration, all in all much better than past experiences of immigration at US airports where we have found mass queues and long waits.

Overall the DUB T2 experience was good one which we would happily do again (even though we live in Scotland we would happily travel to Dublin for our gateway to the USA) with the preclearance being the real bonus when heading to America especially if you have an onward connecting flight (as we did to DFW) as your luggage is checked all the way to final destination and you land as internal flight passenger so just collect your luggage and leave the airport as all US customs has been cleared in DUB or go to your next gate.

Boarding appeared to be on time with priority given first to the elderly and travellers with young children then those with Sky Priority (Business Elite passengers & Skymiles members of a certain level) as a result we were virtually first on the plane, although upon arrival at the aircraft door the crew seemed a little unprepared for boarding as they were still seemed to be doing some prep work in the cabins but the crew were polite and pleasant.

After a few minutes the Purser approached us and introduced herself and welcomed us onboard by name and took our pre-takeoff drink request which was brought to us within minutes along with our menus to make our main meal selection and hot towels. Our takeoff was delayed by about 20 minutes but the crew came around the cabin to top up our drinks again prior to takeoff.

The seat on this version of A330-200 was the older Northwest Airlines clam shell cradle seat which is not a full lie horizontal seat, it does recline flat but it is at an angle to the floor when done so. Our seats were 1H & 1J which were good as they have no one in front reclining into you and we did not notice any excess noise coming from the galley area. Ideally on this aircraft go for any of the row 1 seats due to having the bulkhead to the front so you gain a little more leg room. The seat filling was a bit flat in places but overall the seat and cabin were clean and tidy and certainly didn’t look like it was several years old.

The seat is was both fairly comfortable but also uncomfortable at the same time depending on the seat position. My partner in 5ft tall and a UK size 12, although a daytime flight she wanted to sleep but found the fully reclined seat position uncomfortable as she would slide down the seat towards the floor as the pop up footrest was too far away from her, she then found that by putting the seat in the cradle reclined position it was much more comfortable. I’m 6ft and 12.5 stone so not huge in build but like my partner found the fully relined position quite uncomfortable as it felt like my back was being arched upwards like a banana while feet and head arching downwards. Again I found the cradle position the most comfortable although the foot rest could have done with being a little further away when extended or for it to have more padding if not as it cut into the back of my legs when it wasn’t in use. Overall though the seat was comfortable once we found our preferred position but I wouldn’t like to do any more than the 8hr flight that we had in them.

The meals were as far as I’m concerned pretty good for eating at 36,000ft with a selection that all meat eaters would be happy with, although if you are vegetarian make sure you pre-book your meal, my partner who is vegetarian thought going by the sample menu online that she would get something easily enough but this was not the case and had to do without a main course which for her was fine as the starter and main course sides were plenty. The wine was free flowing to the point that you had to say no thanks and it was good that the crew remembered what wine you had previously. Cabin announcements were minimal which was a good thing as the speaker system was atrocious as you could hardly make anything out.

Upon arrival at ATL for our transit we disembarked at the international terminal and made our way to the terminal train that runs underground like a spine to the other terminals. Overall we found ATL easy to transit in, one thing though hang on tight when the train is about to move as it sets off with a good bit of pace and also slows rapidly as well.

We had a 2hr layover in ATL so we made our way to the Delta lounge near our gate. Some of the lounges don’t seem to be very clearly sign posted and the entrances are tucked away in small side corridors which seemed a little strange considering ATL is Delta’s home but any ATL personnel we spoke to were extremely helpful. The lounge was quiet with views across the concourse with a selection of cold snacks, hot & cold drinks and a paid for bar for certain alcoholic drinks. Overall ok for a short stay.

Our ATL to DFW flight was, well fine, slightly late leaving due to two passengers having the same seat, once it was sorted the purser came around all business passengers taking drink orders which was then served with an option of snacks in the form of crisps, nuts & chocolate.

The MD-88 seats are more economy comfort style regarding recline and legroom but for a 2hr hop to DFW more than enough. Arrival in DFW was simple, off the plane, through a set of doors, a short wait for our luggage then off to our hotel.

Overall we were happy with Delta although we were a little apprehensive flying with a US carrier, ok the hard product on this route/aircraft maybe not as good as say Delta, BA or American Airlines from LHR, the cabin crew were good but a few shortcomings but then is that just the American style of service?

Would we fly through DUB to the US again? – Yes. Would we fly business with Delta again? – Yes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls