Definition of Transit

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

• AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ LuganoPirate – 20/11/2012 10:05 GMT

It’s the only place in the world I have been to where you pass through a scanner/metal detector to get on the Metro and where access to the National Centre for the Performing Arts (a must visit in Beijing BTW owing to its stunning architecture) involves comparable checks…

Back to the thread: I recall from my time at BA check-in at LGW a couple of decades ago that we were told that the airline was fined £thousands if pax turned up at the other end without the requisite visa. So, they always err on the side of safety and it’s cheaper to deny boarding.

SimaHir
    Participant

canucklad

The return flight was 17:45 to DMK and I’d factored in the possibility, should I miss that flight, of catching the 19:45 Thai flight to BKK, thereby ensuring plenty of time to catch BA10 at 00:30!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Yes Jordan, Kenya was one of the countries, it also used to be the case with Kuwait, but I’m going back many years so may have changed in the meantime. I’ll eventually recall the others!

I’ve never been to Beijing Anthony and it’s definitely on the list of places to visit on our RTW with miles (hopefully)..

craigwatson
    Participant

ICAO define a transit as anything under 24 hours, BUT not going A-B-A, that is a “point of turnaround”. Burma allows a 24hour Transit visa, so if you are awaiting a flight to a 3rd destination, you can get a 24hr visa and go explore the city, but NOT if you are at your destination, then you need a full blown visa, So in this case Air Asia were correct, sorry.

MontysDouble
    Participant

It depends totally upon what you are talking about. There is no point using a term definition in one context and applying it to another.

From a fare rules and ticketing perspective, what is a connection/transit vs. a stopover is indeed usually definied as 24 hours. However that is just from that perspective.

From an imigration perspective, a transit is simply going through somewhere to get to somewhere else. It may or may not involve imigrational entry to the country and/or explicit permission of the state.

You can easily have transit visa situations where people have been given persmission to ‘transit’ for a number of days. Either because of infrequent services (non-daily ferries, non-daily flights), or simply because the transit it literally through the country and it will take time.

Regardless of whether it is transit without visa, visa upon arrival, or transit visa, from an imigration perspective the purpose of the visit has to be transit to qualify.

Going A-B-A where the purpose is to go to B is clearly not in any way a transit situation. Sorry.

Now, whether you could argue that you are transiting from flight 1 to flight 2 is questionable.

Even if A and C when doing an A-B-C were in the same country, but B wasn’t, that could still be said to be a valid transit, as you are moving from A to C.

However if flight 2 will return you to the same exact location (A-B-A), there is no basis for the country in which B is located to grant you a transit visa as you don’t need to transit through them.

And imigration policies do not embrace the idea that for ‘financial’ and/or ‘married segment availability’ reasons, you would like to transit, as they still hold to the idea, that ticket should really reflect where you want to go – not the tickets you have booked which will enable you to do that, based upon how they are used.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

@ AnthonyDunn

Re the 24 hour transit visa for China.

I guess this is to help both Chinese aviation in carrying sixth freedom traffic (with the kangaroo route now being targetted by CZ) but also it would benefit passengers stranded when they miss a connection for whatever reason.

I believe India does not offer the same arrangement and this must make some international passengers wary of changing planes in say, BOM or DEL, in case their connection is lost and they end stranded airside overnight.

I believe the best example of needing a transit visa is the USA. Even when passengers take Air NZ from LHR to AKL using NZ1 or NZ2 they still need a US visa even when the plane touches down at LAX where they can expect to be photographed and fingerprinted.

Air NZ even provides a special website page to inform passengers of the LAX procedures:

http://www.airnewzealand.eu/transiting-via-la

That’s one reason why Air NZ began flying from LHR to AKL via HKG a route which, sadly, will cease next year.

As FormerlyDoS notes above, Australia also requires passengers to hold a visa in transit. But I cannot think of any international airline offering a through plane service and which touches down at an Australian gateway.

rrtsalzer
    Participant

I believe this was just changed to 72 hours as of Jan 1, 2013.
    Anyone else hear about this change?

http://en.ce.cn/Insight/201212/26/t20121226_23977927.shtml

A very positive move…applying for a visa is too much hassle unless absolutely necessary.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Be interesting to know to which nationalities this applies. It mentions 45 but doesn’t say which in the article?

Happy Christmas LuganoPirate

This article lists the 45 countries:

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/beijing/visa-free.htm

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Alexpo, same to you and Happy New Year as well.

Bit ominous, if you overstay, “you may be detained for a few days”!!! However very useful. We’re planning a big RTW trip and I’m looking to make it as visa hassle free as possible. Was going to leave out China but may now look to include it for a brief visit.

TominScotland
    Participant

LondonCity
    Sorry to be so tardy with this response (only just read the thread) but EK flights to Auckland and Christchurch all require transit in Australia. On the couple of occasions that I have flown those routes, I do not recall being asked about Australian visas and I am fairly sure we had to deplane in Sydney/ Brisbane??

AMcWhirter
    Participant

TominScotland

In which case, EK pax flying DXB-AKL/CHC via Australia would not require a visa.

If a visa were required for transit purposes then surely that information would be clearly posted on EK’s website at the time of booking.

TominScotland
    Participant

But that is exactly my point in response to what you posted (and FormerlyDOS noted):

“As FormerlyDoS notes above, Australia also requires passengers to hold a visa in transit. But I cannot think of any international airline offering a through plane service and which touches down at an Australian gateway.”

SimonS1
    Participant

The original posts are not correct. If your onward flight from Australia is within 8 hours and you don’t leave the airport then many nationalities do not need a transit visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/transit/no-visa.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls