Dakar advice

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

Sunshine
    Participant

So despite my many years of travel, I now end up taking my first ever trip to Africa and I’m off to Dakar in Sengal.

Having gone through the process of being a pin cushion for a day (inoculations for almost every conceivable disease), I now turn my attention to arrival.

My concern here is that, having read some blogs and chat rooms, is that Dakar airport seems unruly and chaotic. I’ve heard that it’s a highly corrupt airport and there are lots of rogue taxi drivers around.

Has anyone been there and care to share any advice or observations?

Thanks

Senator
    Participant

Sunshine,

I have been twice to Dakar for business, and enjoyed it immensly. First time, I stayed at:
    http://www.hotel-lagon-senegal.com/
    Very interesting (positive) experience and the restauant down by the oceanfront very nice.

Second time I stayed at the Pullman Hotel.

Couple of points:
    Ask the hotel to arrange for a car to pick you up from the airport
    Use taxis from the hotel
    I did not feel at all un-safe at any point

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Sunshine

I agree. Dakar is a nice city and not unsafe by African standards. But Africa does require a few new “rules of the road”.

Basically, try not to take taxis you have not pre-booked. On arrival, there is no substitute for pre-arranged hotel taxi; thereafter, use the hotel to arrange or provide taxis if you can, especially after dark. Also, always agree the fare before you get in, as not many taxis have meters (and I always ask the concierge what a realistic fare for given trips would be).

One tip you might like to have for less savoury places than Dakar: when you order the hotel car to pick to up at the airport, ask the man with the sign to put up a code word (eg your company name), and then when you meet him, ask him to give you your personal name. The reason for this is that at less safe airports in Africa, bogus taxi drivers look around to see the names of people being waited for, write a sign using one of thir names, and then try to stand nearer the exit where you come out. Then when you see them they look all authentic, you get into their car, and god knows where you might end up or how much it will cost you to get out of the mess you are in.

Safe travels, and enjoy Dakar

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls