Da Nang (visa on arrival or pre departure?) – staying in Hoi An

Back to Forum

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  stevescoots 1 Apr 2019
at 03:35

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Travelling BKK-DAD shortly and wondered whether I could avoid the Visa on arrival by getting a Visa in advance. I will be in BKK for 4 full working days prior – or is the process relatively quick on arrival?

Does anyone have any advice on which airlines NOT to fly with between the 2 cities as some very unknown (to me) airlines came up on my research.

Need to see clients in the An My & An Bang district of Hoi An and would like to let clients know where I will be staying rather than being put into something unknown. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations?

Many thanks

Linyilee
    Participant

Have you checked you actually need a visa on arrival? As a UK passport holder I believe it’s not necessary for stays under 15 days as long as you don’t return within 30 days.
    I’ve stayed at the Riverside impression the last couple of trips and find it really good.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Linyilee – many thanks, I should have remembered from last time, but that was a year ago…

https://www.vietnam-evisa.org/visa-requirements/view/united-kingdom.html

Any help on the other 2 questions would still be appreciated….

Linyilee
    Participant

Definitely consider the riverside impression
    Just a short walk into town.
    If you’re looking for a more mainstream hotel they’re along the main road from danang to hoi an and much more expensive and a bit isolated.
    Hoi an is mainly boutique hotels.
    Great town to stay.

stevescoots
    Participant

Linyilee is Correct Martyn, you dont need a visa under 15 nights but take a print out of your exit flight details with you as they often ask for it. I have used VietJet and Jetstar domestic and both are as would expect of LCC of the Ryanair model. not had any issues. I tend to fly Vietnam airlines internally for the flexibility and skyteam points.

Hotels, HoiAn is a tourist trap and as stated mainly small boutique hotels. The hotels on the road are all resorts and can dent the wallet somewhat

cwoodward
    Participant

Martyn

I would honestly recommend giving the ‘unknown’airlines a miss.
    I have flown on a couple of them and was frankly concerned that we would arrive in one piece if at all. (and it takes rather a lot to scare me after flying for over 50 years).

cwoodward
    Participant

BTW Martyn

I stayed at the Sofitel (Hotel Royal if I remember correctly) in Hoi AN.
    The new wing has the nicest rooms.
    Good all round 5 star hotel but not cheap as I recall.

first_class_please
    Participant

Martyn, I am travelling to Da Nang later in the year and booked on Bangkok Airways.

Have used them previously on internal Thai flights and found them very acceptable.

If i recall, all the flights seem to be around the same time and once daily, Viet Jet, Thai Air Asia and BKK airways.

Tramor01
    Participant

Martyn – To echo everyone else If your stay is 15 days or less and you haven’t been in Vietnam at least 30 days prior to this visit you won’t need a visa. There is a visa waiver scheme in operation for UK passport holders which is in operation until 2020 at least.
    Viet Jet and VN Airways and Bangkok Air are fine as is Thai Air Asia from DMG -I flew them to Phitsanulok last September and for a LCC they were great
    As an aside I may be in BKK overnight on 14th and 18th

cwoodward
    Participant

It may be of interest and reassuring to some that Bangkok Airways code share with Cathay Pacific

We have a house in Koh Samui Thailand and have travelled ex HK with them dozens of times.
    They are very good and all respects – ‘Asia’s Boutique Airline”

CocktailMike
    Participant

I stayed at the Palm Garden Beach Resort. Its on the beach and there are free shuttle buses into Hoi An town, although a taxi is very cheap.
    Opposite the hotel is a strip of small family run restaurants offering excellent food at low prices if you don’t fancy the hotel food.
    Breakfast buffet in the hotel was superb.
    I took the opportunity of getting a made-to-measure suit, two silk shirts and a silk tie for US$150! – Hoang Kim was the shop in Hoi An
    I got an advance visa in the UK as I stayed for more than 15 days.

CocktailMike
    Participant

I took a number of internal flights on Vietnam Airlines mostly on their A321’s. Always on time and excellent on board service.
    (I was booked on an A350 from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi – but a late equipment change was a disappointment.)
    I would also consider using Vietnam Airlines for regional flights based on these experiences.
    Business class was only a modest extra cost over economy and was well worth it – Bigger seats and some nice lounges at Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh and Da Nang

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I will add my endorsement of Bangkok Airways

Unfortunately, although we found lots of wonderful places in Hoi An, we totally failed to make notes about any of them!!

K1ngston
    Participant

Martyn, I concur with everyone here, Bangkok Airways are good have flown them many times …..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks all, now booked.

Seems to be a very busy period – my only flight options turned out to be with Thai VietJet, which apparently is a subsidiary of VietJet..

With regards to hotel, I prefer to book direct with Hotel but found most had used their direct / own room allocation. Through third part sites, there was availability at most hotels.

I found the Victoria hotel very communicative & to a degree flexible in agreeing rates/benefits – so booked there.

Very excited about this trip, besides the business part, I have found through my old school website/facebook page a classmate I have not seen for 42 years, who has set up a health food shop in Hoi An.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller September 2019 edition
Business Traveller September 2019 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls