Cycles so expensive on Swiss

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

SwissExPat
    Participant

Swiss want to change CHF110 (Euro 90) per sector to carry a cycle.

This compares to Zero for BA (if it included in your 23 allowance)

How can Swiss (and LH who charge the same) justify this?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m surprised by this, a I think it used to be free. In August last year Swiss changed its baggage allowances more than doubling the weight in some instances so perhaps they have compensated elsewhere.

The only good news I think is that’s it’s not per sector but per flight. So London – Zurich – Rome would incur just one charge and another for the return. Small comfort but some at least.

SwissExPat
    Participant

It is definitely CHF 110 per bike per flight in Europe.

For leisure, I travel alot with a bike packed in a compact soft shell case and am shocked at these charges.

Easyjet charge CHF 40
    BA is free if under 23 kg and part of your allowance

I am flying to Mallorca in March and have booked with Air Berlin (direct to PMI) who charge Euro 50 per flight. However, I have paid Euro 79 to join their frequent flyer programme as a ‘service Card’ level and am now able to bring a bike or other sport equipment on flight for no extra charge for 12 months!!!!

As a cyclist using ZRH for most flights, it looks as if Air Berlin will be getting my leisure business from now on!!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can understand that. If it was a regular thing I’d do the same.

As its in its own case I’m surprised it doesn’t count as part of your baggage allowance.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Looks like there is good news on the Swiss Facebook page regarding sports equipment.

From 1 June 2012 sports equipment will be part of a normal baggage allowance and any excess charged at excess baggage rates. (I am assuming in a similar fashion to how BA does it)

I am waiting for confirmation on the details but this will be great news for cyclists (now likely to save Chf 220 per round trip)

Also looks like skis will continue to be free in addition to normal baggage allowance!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Looks like Swiss caved in under “pedal” power SwissExPat. There are many big cycle races n Switzerland, as well as lots of tourists coming to cycle over the various passes, mountain biking and so on.

I could imagine that with BA carrying bikes for free, as do other airlines, Swiss were losing too many passengers and so had to relent on their new policy.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Yes !!!

Good news comfirmed on the SWISS website.

Also same policy confirmed on the LUFTHANSA site for their flights!

This is a real improvement for travelling sportsmen!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Delighted for you SwissExPat. There are many beautiful places to cycle here in the Ticino, as well as some hairy mountains. So if you cycle this way let me know and we can share a bottle of Merlot in a local “Grotto”.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Sure will LP!

Indeed I am often in Lugano.

As I live south of Zürich I often take the train to Lugano and am collected by Emirates for departures from Mxp to Asia via DXB. I usually save €2000 in J compared to departing ex ZRH. (although I am sure you knew this already!)

Rgds P

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Yes, I did know about the savings ex MXP, but I did not know EK would come and collect you in Lugano. That’s very interesting for me and thanks for pointing it out. I definitely owe you a good bootle for that, perhaps one of Brivio’s? Do let me know next time you’re next passing through.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls