CX vs QR?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• cotswoldsw
    Participant

I recently booked J class tickets for FCO to SYD on Cathay (A350 and 77W). At the time it was by far the best deal. I’ve just noticed Qatar seats on sale for the same price (787 and A380).
    I’ve still not flown QR. It would cost me EUR200 to cancel the CX flights… Does anyone think it would be worth cancelling and rebooking? How superior, if at all, is the QR J product and is it worth the hassle and (relatively minimal) cost?
    The cost of changing and/or cancelling the QR ticket would be more than double the CX charges, although not prohibitive and the schedules are directly comparable.
    Any advice gratefully received.

GivingupBA
    Participant

I have flown J class from Europe to the Far East many, many times recently on QR, and on CX. I have always found CX to be better [ignoring price, of course].

Needless to say I don’t work for either QR or CX.

esselle
    Participant

I’ve flown both quite a lot over many years, and honestly think that for such a moderate change fee you should, indeed, switch to QR and give them a try. On the aircraft you quote there will be little in it from hard product viewpoint, but QR’s dine on demand may edge it as will, I suspect, the quality of what is on the plate. Wines, if important to you, will be on a par, and IFE same, although the QR safety video is quite fun. Crew contact is dependant on who you get.

Six and two threes, but try it and judge. Good luck

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Whilst a Cathay man for 27+ years I might sound a tad bias. That said having flown QR I would say CX and QR (787 and 350 on QR)are well up there in front of the pack. Rather than incur a EUR 200 cancellation fee, every penny cent counts as my father used to tell me, I would stay with CX and use QR next time.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

They are both superb, I think.

I’ve flown the A350 with both.

Cathay have had some problems with the J class seats on the A350 but I believe they have been busily fixing them.

When I reviewed it last year the problems with the seats was very noticeable

Flight review: Cathay Pacific A350-900 Business Class

AlanOrton1
    Participant

QR A380 in J is a great way to fly and in my view better than the J offering on most other A380 operators. (Not flown SQ).
    If it is your thing, a nice bar / lounge area, and last I flew Krug was served at the bar.
    Like another poster said, I’d save the money and try them next time, but if you are inclined to switch, they are normally very good in the air, and their J lounge at DOH should offer you all you need while in transit.

cotswoldsw
    Participant

Thanks all for the responses. CathayLoyalist2, your wise words have struck a chord… QR next time.

stevescoots
    Participant

I agree with CXloyalist on this one. They are both good and i have flown both many times but rather than have the cost of changing stick with CX, give QR a go next time

K1ngston
    Participant

I have flown both and I think it comes down to one thing only, whether you are prepared to stop in the ME or not.

Both products are favourable and having done both journeys I still prefer the on and off situation even in Y

Therefore I agree with CXLoyalist and try QR next time, in fact I am flying them from SIN-LHR next week (albeit Y) I will give an honest POV here

paulkaz
    Participant

Another point in CX’s favour is that HKG is closer to equidistant between FCO and SYD so splits the flight time better than a shortish hop to DOH and a long flight to SYD getting in early evening.
    Also CX has multiple HKG flights to SYD should any delays occur in bound.
    The return trip matters less as QR leaves in the late evening allowing a good long sleep before DOH and then last hop to Europe.

Celticplumber
    Participant

I’m a big fan of both airlines, however on trips from Europe to NZ I prefer CX. The reason is jetlag management; a morning arrival from AMS into HKG gives me a day in the city to visit my tailor, and have a nice lunch, then back to the airport – feeling pretty exhausted – for the evening departure to AKL on which I sleep like a baby. And once in AKL there is some jetlag, but I really believe that breaking the journey for a day in HK helps massively.

NTarrant
    Participant

Both are different but the level of service on both is a high standard. I like both so it depends on the price at the time.

My view is as others, go CX and try QR next time

slotski
    Participant

I’ve flown both airlines in J class. Both are excellent but I personally put QR a few notches over CX. The most telling was just over a year ago I flew AMS to HKG via DOH. I did AMS-DOH with QR then DOH-HKG with CX….. QR was definitely better than CX regarding, hard product, amenities and food and beverages. Service QR was slightly ahead and of course they had dine on demand.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls