CX sells premium transpacific tickets at economy prices

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

It what appears to be another case of “mistake fares” Cathay Pacific was selling first and business class transpacific tickets at the economy price.

These fares have since been withdrawn and SCMP reports that Cathay Pacific will “address the air fare situation on Wednesday” (January 2).

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/2180278/cathay-pacific-offers-first-and-business-class-tickets

It’s unclear whether or not Cathay Pacific will honour these fares.

But on other occasions airlines, who have sold such fares in error, later backed down and honoured them.

This was the case with SIA back in 2014.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/sia-will-honour-erroneous-sale-of-business-class-tickets-at-economy-class-fares-in

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I just heard that CX will honour the tickets sold.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, some welcome “Good News” headlines for the airline

Cathay to honour business and first tickets mistakenly sold as economy

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Glad that CX honoured the mistake fares and admitted its “mistake.”

It’s rare that airlines own up to a mistake.

I remember some years ago UA sold $25 return economy fares from California to Paris CDG.

At first UA refused to honour its mistake fares.

It was only later after many complaints and media exposure that United relented. In a statement it grudgingly hoped customers would enjoy their trip.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

At last an airline doing the right thing. I hope CX gets the kudos for this as they stepped up without being bullied into it as were the other airlines mentioned in the other posts above.

esselle
    Participant

Chapeau, CX.

Imagine Cruz defending this….”We were let down by a third party whose actions are not in keeping with our legally binding SLA’s and we will be robust in defending our position. We apologise to those customers who have been inconvenienced but I am sure they recognise that we have to consider the interests of our shareholders”.

5 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Given the complexity of air fares and the various processes involved in loading and distributing them through multiple channels, I am surprised that errors don’t occur more often.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

It’s probably just another publicity stunt. Cathay Pacific are renowned for that.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=912405]At last an airline doing the right thing. I hope CX gets the kudos for this as they stepped up without being bullied into it as were the other airlines mentioned in the other posts above.[/quote]

Cathay Pacific was clever. It turned this mistake into a PR opportunity.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Chris and Alex
    +1
    Probably the cheapest worldwide publicity in history – and everyone knows its a good route to Vietnam!

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Absolutely agree with the above comments….

When everything is tickety boo, nobody really pays attention. After all, its the norm.
    And in the case of CX, the norm is at a high bar.

So when something goes wrong, and a business recovers and surpasses expectation’s people take notice and applaud that company.

Sadly in this day and age, not many companies bite the bullet and do the right thing !!!

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=912648]Chris and Alex

+1

Probably the cheapest worldwide publicity in history – and everyone knows its a good route to Vietnam![/quote]

Unfortunatly with heavy loadings now to SGN so the prices have climbed 🙁

Inquisitive
    Participant

I do not think Cathey has to do this intentionally with first class, in that case they would have done this with business class. But once the mistake happened, if they convert that to a business stunt, I would call them smart. And far better than what other airlines did with similar issue.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[quote quote=912811]I do not think Cathey has to do this intentionally with first class, in that case they would have done this with business class. But once the mistake happened, if they convert that to a business stunt, I would call them smart. And far better than what other airlines did with similar issue.[/quote]

I didn’t think Cathay even had First Class on flights to Vietnam? Do they?

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=913317]

I do not think Cathey has to do this intentionally with first class, in that case they would have done this with business class. But once the mistake happened, if they convert that to a business stunt, I would call them smart. And far better than what other airlines did with similar issue.

I didn’t think Cathay even had First Class on flights to Vietnam? Do they?[/quote]

they used to when running 777 on the route, well the cabin as there not sure if it was used or not as i never saw anyone sat in them. past 18 months however i have only been on the 350 in J which does not have it and in PE/Y on 777 so not walked through the front door 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls