CX Premium Economy

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• NQtraveller
    Participant

Hi All,

Looking at travelling to Europe from Australia in April/May next year for 7 weeks. I have found return flights with CX for $2,400AUD from Brisbane to Barcelona and return in Premium Economy. I have never flown PE as I’ve always found it to be overpriced for what it actually is however this offer is quite tempting especially being on the 789. Does anyone recommend CX PE and think it is worthwhile for this price?

There is also a long layover on the way over to Europe so I’m thinking about staying in HK for a night as the price is the same. Any suggestions on where to stay and how to make the most out of 2 full days in Hong Kong?

Thanks.

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

Are you sure it is CX?

CX don’t fly the 789

1 user thanked author for this post.

frustratedflyer
    Participant

I have flown CX PE a few times and it’s good. At the price you quote and the distance you are travelling I would say it is good value and certainly worth it for the extra space. If you have oneworld status their lounges are great in Hong Kong.

As to where to stay in HKG it depends on where you want to be. No shortage of good hotels but think you need to narrow down the area. For example Causeway Bay, TST etc.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

AUD$2,400 seems fair for an Oz to Europe return in PE and like others have said, CX’s product is as good as most of the major airlines who offer this cabin type.
    Having travelled in a fair amount of PE cabins, I find them all much of a muchness. If you can get the front row, I’d always aim for that.

NQtraveller
    Participant

My apologies, late night. The 359 not the 789.

2 users thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

The only thing to be mindful of on the B777-300ER 4 class configuration is the front row seats 30D-30G leave enough space with the bulkhead so people do use it as a walk through from one side of the cabin to the other particularly when going to the toilet. At night it is annoying when people fall over your feet. Equally seat 30G is adjacent to the only toilet in PEY so people can and do congregate there again annoying if you are trying to sleep. CX do not seem to stop people from ´Y´ also coming through the curtain which adds to foot traffic. I raised this point with CX particularly access of Y class to PEY toilet. I would go for seats A & D . The PEY product is good

canucklad
    Participant

Hi NQ traveller
    Can’t comment on CX’s PE product, what I would say is the airline is one of my favourites and price dependant, first choice when heading to HK.

Quick question, have you been to Hong Kong before, and if not what is your arrival time and departure time?
    That will give me and other BTer’s a better chance of giving worthwhile advice.

If it’s only 2 days my initial thoughts would be Kowloon , near the MTR station.
    Definitely need to get yourself an Octopus card

NQtraveller
    Participant

@CathayLoyalist2 thanks for that, good to know as we are now looking to fly into Milan which is on the 777 and we do want the bulkhead seats so will aim for the window. Is the 777 PE still comparatively good to the 359? I understand they have extended the legroom and installed the leg rests which is good.

@canucklad
    haven’t been to Hong Kong before. We arrive at 7.30AM and will stay for a night before flying out just after midnight the following day. So we will have 2 full days. Perhaps somewhere where we are able to just fit in the usual touristy things without too much hassle, near to a train station is a must as we don’t really want to take too much time out of the time there. Do you happen to know if there are showers in HKG airport after a long day sightseeing before a flight?

canucklad
    Participant

I’ve suggested Kowloon MTR ( transit system) because you can check-in for your flight there, if your going to be collecting your luggage in HK —-Central also has the same facility.

For me…….

I’d plan your trip around 2 events……1 per day……

1st day…… Check-in to hotel, have a wander about Kowloon, specifically head to the bird /flower market.
    Then head to the Star Ferry and head across to Central. Jump in a taxi(very cheap) to the funicular railway and head up to Victoria Peak. Time it right and you’ll get the day, sunset and night views of the city. Have dinner up there and then get a taxi to Lan Kwai Fong for some drinks….tons of bars etc.
    If you’re a bit of a party animal, then head to Wan Chai, were you’ll definitely find a bar with a live band…Amazonia for sure !!will have live music..

2nd day
    Jump on the MTR dumping your luggage (checking in) and head to the Giant Buddha, getting off at Tung Chung .
    Head back to Kowloon and enjoy the night markets
    Get the airport express at about 9.00, remember you’ve already checked in.

And yes, if you can’t get shower facilities at your hotel, then the airport does have complimentary public showers, although I’ve never used them.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

NQtraveler. Check on seat guru http://www.seatguru.com for the cabin configuration as the 3 class 777-300ER doesn´t have first class and the PEY layout will be different. The A350-900 in PEY does not have the toilet problem whereas the A350-1000 has a similar problem with 30D closest. If the aircraft is the A350-1000 I would go for 30H or 30K.

slotski
    Participant

I mainly fly business class for long haul. But have experienced BA, Virgin and CX PE. I flex CX PE both on A350 and A330. The former is excellent and by far the best PE seat I have flown with. There is a decent amount of recline and leg rest at every seat and the pitch is 40″ which is slightly more than their B777 and BA and Virgin. The IFE was superb with a large touch screen and extensive choice of films, etc. The only slight issue was PE passengers use the same bathrooms as economy so it can be a bit of a trip.

NQtraveller
    Participant

Thanks all,

Have booked Brisbane to Milan and return from Barcelona with CX in PE. We have a nights stopover in Hong Kong with 2 fulls days to sightsee. Unfortunately though it seems most hotels are reluctant to do day rates for rooms. Looking to stay in TST/Kowloon within a reasonable distance to the MTR.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’ve just got off the CX B777 from LHR to HKG.

30D. Comfortable flight.

Weird that the only washroom is on one side, hence people walking through the leg room of the bulkhead passengers to get to it.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I made exactly this point in post #886861 above. The worst seat is 30G as you are adjacent to the toilet. It´s made worse by economy passengers being allowed access to that PEY toilet plus foot traffic from A,C and D seats from both PEY and Y using the bulkhead walkway to gain access.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I should add other than that CX´s PEY is very comfortable

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls