CX lounge BKK

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

• seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Sitting here waiting for BA to LHR.
    Just seen 2 guys from China stuffing cans of beer into their carry on luggage, I’d say around 5x 500ml cans each.

Greedy bastards. I find this kind of behaviour deplorable.

Question – would you say something? Would you inform staff?
    I said nothing but I’m now thinking I should have quietly alerted desk staff.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Ok well, it’s 20 mins later and an additional 4 cans each now added to carry on. I decided to alert desk staff and pointed out the culprits but I’m not sure they were interested?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I can imagine the look on the faces of the staff as you alert them. An inane smile with a thank you for bringing this to our attention.. and then returning to play on their phones..

Would I do anything…. probably not unless they were on the the same flight and sat near to me in which case I would mention it to cabin crew..

Safe flight back s/t..

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=820787]I can imagine the look on the faces of the staff as you alert them. An inane smile with a thank you for bringing this to our attention.. and then returning to play on their phones..

Would I do anything…. probably not unless they were on the the same flight and sat near to me in which case I would mention it to cabin crew..

Safe flight back s/t..

[/quote]

Safely back home Martyn – thanks. The long flight back from BKK which I know you have done many times.
    Maybe I am naive or have an old fashioned attitude in this but, I consider it to be theft, plain and simple and felt morally bound to say something.

The staff clearly didn’t give a toss as nothing was done (nothing that I saw at least) – A pity in my opinion but, what the hell eh 😉

ghlotus
    Participant

Can’t say I’ve never taken an extra bag of peanuts or cookies with me from an airport lounge, but nine cans of beer is a bit much. Surely the staff is instructed not to challenge any guest about “theft of consumables,” but stealing plates, glassware, wine bottles, etc. would probably be a different story. After all, how much does nine cans of beer cost against the price of a business class ticket? Rude and ugly, but not a big deal for the airline.

TominScotland
    Participant

seasonedtraveller,

BTW, how did you know they were from China?

canucklad
    Participant

I know its a slightly different circumstance.

A few years ago, a couple of straw eating yokels raided the AC galley and made off with a haul of Molson’s.
    After some unsuccessful remonstrating from the flight attendants the unfortunate gents had the good fortune to meet some lovely Mounties (minus the horse) on arrival at YYZ.

Would I have said anything in the lounge, well it very much would have been dependant on whether I was going to suffer a shortage of my favourite beverage or not : )

On a more serious note, back in the day when I was commuting regularly the BMI lass at EDI grabbed me to one side and asked me to rebuke and warn junior staff from my company, to desist from helping themselves, otherwise Plod would have to be informed!!
    I had to remind my colleagues about their responsibility as company representatives and that they weren’t on a jaunt to Spain.
    I wonder what would have happened if the long arm of the law had been brought in !!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=820981]seasonedtraveller,

BTW, how did you know they were from China?

[/quote]
    Seated opposite me, Passports in view 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@seasonedtraveller – a slight thread drift, but I now fly home from BKK via HKG. Cant stand the BA 777 service for 10 hours +, when you get the added space upstairs in the 380. I also enjoy the BKK & HKG CX lounges and CX service (BKK-HKG). Always manage good sleep upstairs on the 380…

After a 10 day trip to Asia, yes I want to get home quick, but prefer to enjoy the journey home rather than suffer it. I also prefer not to use day flights Asia to London.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=821012] @seasonedtraveller – a slight thread drift, but I now fly home from BKK via HKG. Cant stand the BA 777 service for 10 hours +, when you get the added space upstairs in the 380. I also enjoy the BKK & HKG CX lounges and CX service (BKK-HKG). Always manage good sleep upstairs on the 380…

After a 10 day trip to Asia, yes I want to get home quick, but prefer to enjoy the journey home rather than suffer it. I also prefer not to use day flights Asia to London.

[/quote]

Martyn – never tried the A380 yet. Was recently on my 1st A350 LH to BOM (which I enjoyed).
    Are you flying back with CX? (may be a stupid question given the lounge you mention)
    What is the difference in the fare?
    Last time I flew to PEK via HKG with CX, I had to explain exactly why I had spent almost £1,000 than the BA option…..I couldn’t.

I’m back to BKK in September so would be interested to hear.

K1ngston
    Participant

seasonedtraveller, when you are in BKK in September please update me, my plan is to be there also, I have met Martyn a couple of times there and in HKG and we certainly put the world to rights over a nice bottle of wine (well I did anyway)!

Having suffered the old decrepit BA 777-200 back from BKK (purely a holiday charter) I also agree with Martyn and would either head to SIN or HKG to get the flight back. A mute point now as I live in SIN but I would avoid that BA service at all costs …. have you tried the QR service 380 to DOH and then back??

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=821040]seasonedtraveller, when you are in BKK in September please update me, my plan is to be there also, I have met Martyn a couple of times there and in HKG and we certainly put the world to rights over a nice bottle of wine (well I did anyway)!

Having suffered the old decrepit BA 777-200 back from BKK (purely a holiday charter) I also agree with Martyn and would either head to SIN or HKG to get the flight back. A mute point now as I live in SIN but I would avoid that BA service at all costs …. have you tried the QR service 380 to DOH and then back??

[/quote]

Well, thank you for the invite – we almost met recently in Delhi didn’t we (i remember driving right past your hotel 3-4 times that night) 🙂

This morning, my 1st day back in the office, I noticed that the exhibition I was to attend in Bangkok, the FIA, coincides with a short break to Nuremberg I am taking with my son – 13-16 September, therefore I’m not certain if I will be there in September or not.
    Let’s see what transpires.

K1ngston
    Participant

ST thats right I was in the Westin if I remember, I am there again next week! If you dont make BKK then next time you are in the region ….. Travel Safe!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Correct. I was in the Radisson but had to dine with a group that night.
    Not sure if you’re aware of the place or even interested but, there is the most amazing bunch of microbreweries I’ve ever seen in such a small place. A total of 32 pubs/bars/restaurants, each with an in house brewery. In a single square in Gurgaon. A square with 7 on each side plus 2 on the outside.
    I think we tried 6 of them that night….I’ve been a member of CAMRA for many years and never seen anything quite like it.
    Cheers
    ST.

stevescoots
    Participant

I never seemed to be in the UK when the forum meetups were on the go but I am in and out of HK and HCM every month if anybody feels like putting the world to rights over whatever your poison is!

with regards to the OP, i see this many times, have never felt the need to intervene though. I do however wonder why they do it and can only assume they are flying in the back of the bus where free flow is not so….free flow

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls