Cutting-edge luggage – what innovations would you like to experience?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

Martyn – quite an active forum on FT about luggage in which RIMOWA regularly features. See here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=19000381

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@SimonS1 – many thanks. Does F/T not cover anything???

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I would not use anything Hi Tech or fancy. Just plain, hard shell Samsonites. My oldest one is now thirty years old and still going strong. We have about 6 including one recently bought which all bear the scars of battle but they all do what it says on the tin, get our clothes and possessions from A to B!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I would not use anything Hi Tech or fancy. Just plain, hard shell Samsonites. My oldest one is now thirty years old and still going strong. We have about 6 including one recently bought which all bear the scars of battle but they all do what it says on the tin, get our clothes and possessions from A to B!

JordanD
    Participant

Have to agree, LP – two hardshell Samonsites are back here in India on another trip. Doing the business. Combined with an IT Luggage hard shell I picked up on sale in the US (USD39, down from USD200 as it was the last in stock).

And at the other end, ‘disposable’ Dunlop bags from Lillywhites: max £17, and good for multiple journeys for soft contents (e.g. clothes). Never upset if they get damaged and once they break, cheap to replace. Can get multiple Dunlop bags for the price of a “high end” robust bag.

capetonianm
    Participant

Agree with LP. Two hard shell Samsonites purchased about 20 years ago, one fits inside the other which was often convenient. The larger of the two must have done at least 500 sectors and after a particular bad experience on Shiteberia (is there ever a good one with them?) where it looked as if it had been dragged down the runway, I thought I’d replace it, but it soldiered on for another few years and eventually the handle was broken by BA. Filled it with old clothes and took it to SA where it is no doubt still doing service.

Got a Rimowa about a year ago, after about 10 flights it is already starting to look tatty. I don’t find it terribly practical as it opens on both sides. You can take out all the various accessories inside and it’s about 3 kilos lighter. Mrs. CPT likes it as she can ‘organise’ her clothes better apparently. I guess two pairs of shorts and two t-shirts don’t need much organising which is why this is an alien concept to me.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

MartynSinclair – 22/12/2013 22:05 GMT

Rimowa. I’ve used them for about 10 years and my views are

1 – IATA trolley Salsa (polycarbonate) – brilliant, I’m on my 3rd and it is my workhorse for shorthaul flying, usually checked in, but sometimes in the cabin. They normally last for about 150-200 flights

2 – Trolley Salsa (polycarbonate) – maybe I’ve been unlucky, but the larger sized polycarbonates don’t seem to last as long and I’ve stopped using them in favour of Roncato lightweight polypropelene, which I find excellent, strong and light :-), with all wheels, locks etc replaceable at reasonable cost.

http://www.roncato.com/index.asp?cod_linea=RONCATO%20LIGHT&lang=en&original_lang=en&file=RESEARCH&action=RI

Rimowa Aluminium – very strong, gets bashed about and looks awful, but lasts forever. Quite heavy, though, which is why I don’t use them anymore. Had a 77 litre (disposed of) and an IATA trolley (which my son now likes and uses.)

canucklad
    Participant

An update and a bit of festive fun, due to the update!

My wee, much loved and perfectly formed rucksack with attached wheels has now decided to banish me from using her middle compartment (used for toiletries’ and odds and ends like chargers and chop sticks) due to poor dentistry, as her zipper has the same bite as my dear departed Gran!!

Since she has already rendered her small document compartment useless for the same reasons ( teeth decay-see post 17/9) I’m now left with the sad decision to replace my faithful travelling companion.

A companion who helped me achieve DC G status, BA silver and AC silver. She has trundled through airports as diverse as Cork, Malindi and Hong Kong, supported me on many a cold and windy platform as I leaned on her handle waiting for the Inevitable delayed choo choo !

Now I sadly have to take the decision to replace my ever present pal.

The question is will I be able to see her as she now is —a useless piece of fabric and bin her accordingly, or will I remain emotionally attached as I recall all our wonderful adventures together and stick her un-ceremonially at the back of the cupboard?

And my question to you all, Is there any other sad softies who have luggage that you didn’t have the heart to ditch ?

I might add, I rescued my pal from Tesco’s at the knock down price of £7 because I had bought too many Xmas presents whilst working in London !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Asking whether there has been any progress with GPS enabled suitcases and tracking..

I am being inundated (well, asked by several companies) whether I am interested in buy now, receive in 6 months time, GPS enabled suitcases and trackers.

I know there is a firm called TRACKR – but cant work out whether their products are actually being shipped.. Has anyone any product updates….?

TiredOldHack
    Participant

I’d like a version of Terry Pratchett’s Luggage – lots of little legs and an ability to follow you everywhere.

RFID would be good. And a very simple device that tells you whether your bag has been opened at any time since you checked it in, and at what time.

I’d also like to see a super-secure compartment built into cases, for small valuables, though I’m sure the TSA would find a way of busting into it.

My main bag is an old tough-as-old-boots Samsonite, chosen for its colour to stand out on carousels, and nicknamed The Clockwork Orange by the family. It must be 15 years old, and when it took a hell of a knock while in the tender care of Iberia earlier this year, I was delighted to find that the replacement part needed was available online for a tenner.

Oh, and Canucklad, I still have my big un-wheeled suitcase from my schooldays (so getting on for 50 years old), made of incredibly tough leather and still bearing BOAC stickers.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls