Customer service: It actually Hertz

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• knightflyer
    Participant

Hertz will stay on my A-list for a while – after the redeye arrival booking at Manchester airport where they locked all the car keys in the safe overnight and the handle broke off when they went to open it in the morning. Had booked a Focus or equal but I was given the keys to the last car in the lot (with keys) and a wry smile…”something of an upgrade for you sir.” Spent the next 3 days piloting an S350 around with a big silly grin…only time I have ever selected “avoid motorways” on the GPS. Guess I should feel bad for all those who came after me and had to wait for the safe to be cut open…

PlaneSpeaking
    Participant

Just back from Paphos where I had pre-booked a car with Hertz paying on arrival. The email confirmation confirmed the rate was guaranteed, included full to full fuel, airport charges and taxes but the total was estimated, presumably in case of any extras such as child seat, satnav, insurance etc. I took no extras and had no need for insurance as I’m Plat Amex but they still overcharged me – I couldn’t work out by how much but you couldn’t get that much fuel in the tank! I asked why and was told the total was clearly estimated on the confirmation so they could essentially charge what they wanted. The rep was English but no amount of logical argument would change his mind. When I suggested cancelling the agreement, I was told this was my prerogative and if I wanted to take it up with Hertz in Nicosia, I was welcome to do so. This was late on Friday evening so I took the car and emailed Hertz Customer Services first thing Saturday, US and UK. No reply by Tuesday so I called Nicosia who tried to put up a fight but then backed down, confirmed I had been overcharged by 61 Euros and refunded my account immediately. My opinion – they’re relying on people arriving tired and not noticing and then not bothering to follow up. It’s a shocking way to behave, the indifference from their rep was diabolical and their customer service was non existent. The plus point was the car was only 3 months old but be warned – check what you’re signing for matches your agreement – the costs weren’t even itemised on my agreement and there was simply a “total” figure! PS: Still no reply to either email from the US or UK and I’m not holding my breath for one! PPS: Got home this evening to my credit card statement and guess what – a refund for the fuel charge (full to full) but no refund for the overcharge. I checked my account online and there was no refund after the statement date either. Hertz is absolutely unbelievable. I will call them first thing Monday to politely ask why they tried to rip me off and then lie about promising me a refund but I won’t use them again.

Harryhdl
    Participant

I am a 5 Star Gold Client at Hertz, little good that does when you use a backwater office like the one at Dubai Terminal 3. The staff are rude and actually try to scam you to pay for an “arranged car” to take you to the Departure terminal which is no more than 150m away. I was told that it was 2km away and that taxis dont want to cover such a short distance.

Of course when I discovered the scam, I brought it to the the attention of Sinead Scully at their Customer Care only to be brushed off with a standard reply.

Guess who has lost a 5 star gold customer and all of our corporate business.

NTarrant
    Participant

I have long been saying that car hire companies customer care leaves a lot to be desired. The inconsistency of the way customers are charged. Generally I have found Avis to be the better but even then my last experience at LCA was painful, old car, Avis Preffered forget it stand in the queue like everyone else, surly staff on returning car.

Hertz in JER were fairly good and when I used to go there regularly for a number of years I booked through their local office direct. On the last occasion I used them they undercharged me by £24.00 but I didn’t realise it until I found an additional charge on my credit card for £24.00. When I queried it they just said I was paying the right price. I said that they knew where I was staying why didn’t they deliver a new invoice, the receipt and an apology to the hotel. They said they didn’t have anyone going to the hotel but when I said that they transport the BA crew to the hotel twice a day they just went back to saying I’d paid the right amount. No matter how good their rate was, the last few visits I used Europcar as I couldn’t trust Hrtz again.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls