Currency regulations

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

raylee7
    Participant

Would anyone know if there are any currency regulations in place when bringing in about US$30,000 in cash into Thailand? I understand that maybe I should make a declaration at customs on sums over US$20,000, if this is the case, would i have to pay a fine / tax on the sum I bring in?
    Thanks

watersz
    Participant

As corrupt as a country like thailand is you run the risk of losing a significant proportion of this under a miriad of “legal “ways”

There are a number of ways to legally bring money in
    go to an thai expat page and get some advice

They may even arrest you at the airport (on a flimsy made
    up reason) just to separate you from your stash and make it vanish

But a fool and thier money are soon parted
    I dont mean to be rude but you canot be serious!

SalvatoreGiordano
    Participant

USA and EU 10000 in local currency, including titles, this is at least what I was told by a border agent at LGW last may when boarding a flight to NAP. I had $7000 in TC and he counted it. I would use the bank to wire it, even if I’d pay some fees.

BKK_FLYER
    Participant

The Thai Customs department has a notice about this very topic on their website.
    It says, in part

“For Foreign currency, any person who brings or takes and aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent out of or into the Kingdom of Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to Customs. Failure to declare or make false declaration is a criminal offence.”

Here’s the customs website for specifics:
    http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Traveller/TravelEng.jsp?menuNme=Travel

I do know that like most countries, the customs officers can’t and don’t screen every person, but if you were to be screened and you had more than US$20,000 (as noted above) you’d be in a very difficult position and subject to fines, seizure and other actions.

OzTraveller
    Participant

What on earth are you thinking! Taking $30,000 in cash anywhere is a rather reckless thing to do. We won’t ask why you are thinking of doing this – ask now questions, get told no lies … but you surely must be joking.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls