Cruz live interview

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Somebody who always looked smart in casuals was the late great Steve Jobs. Whenever he made a presentation, whatever he wore, he looked the part, oozed confidence, professionalism and knew how to hold his audience.

I have also flown with pilots who were specifically requested to wear jeans and T shirts… they felt more out of place because the security personnel were convinced they were off duty aircrew making terminal short cuts…

esselle
    Participant

I found myself standing next to the leader of Her Majesty’s Official Opposition recently.

Cruz looks positively smart by comparison, but there is an art to looking good in casual cloths which in this case clearly needs work.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=775052]I found myself standing next to the leader of Her Majesty’s Official Opposition recently.

Cruz looks positively smart by comparison, but there is an art to looking good in casual cloths which in this case clearly needs work.

[/quote]

He was my constituency MP, years ago. Although I didn’t vote his way (and that must have been obvious), he was very helpful with an issue we had at the time and came across as a thoroughly decent bloke.

His dress sense is still the same, though 🙂

peter19
    Participant

I think the interview was fine for what it was. It was all pretty casual and TPH didn’t push on any questions. It maybe would have been nice for his question/notes on the paper to be organised so he could direct some more pressing questions. I don’t feel I learned much from it but all the same he was just off a flight so maybe a bit more casual appearance was ok?

MrMichael
    Participant

What is it about left wing leaders! I do remember Michael Foot and his dress sense left something to be desired. I must say, at the Cenotaph on Sunday I have never seen Mr Corbyn looking so tidy. I wonder if Comrade Branson would wear a tie at an event such as Remembrance Sunday. I fear not.

I recall a few months ago a thread about wearing a tie in Iran. Maybe some of us are too tied up in expecting others to follow our own standards, and I can be guilty of it too.

Back to Cruz, I don’t really care what he looks like, what he wears or what he thinks. I care about what he does. I want him to invest money in BA, to treat its staff and passengers fairly and to continue to get good value for shareholders. Tie or no tie, that is the only thing that can work in the long term. A lot of debate about whether he is the right man for the job. To be honest I don’t know…yet. I wonder how much autonomy he has and how much BA (the flagship of IAG group) is really run by WW.

Edited to add: He has the added difficulty of now being in competition with his own stablemate Aer Lingus for transatlantic traffic. He can’t say as much, but it must rankle.

wowzimmer
    Participant

My first impression was that this was a somewhat defferential and easygoing interview. However, on closer examnation there were a few things to take away from it all and I must congratulate TPG for scoring this interview with the new CEO of BA.

Soft Product = Plenty of investment to come and a determination to keep up with the competition and even start listening to customer feedback.

Hard Product = Awareness that the current biz model cannot be accepted for much longer. A new product in the pipeline with more information at some point in 2017.

Redemption surcharges = Most likely no change although Avios will be further downgraded along with the likes of most Frequent Flyer Programmes.

As for Alex Cruz himself; well he was dressed smart casual. Which seemed to be in keeping with having just got off a flight, was matched by the presenters choice of apparel and the fact that this was a Facebook Live events (which is normally more lighthearted and casual).

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls