Cruz live interview

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Live with British Airways CEO Alex Cruz covering everything from supersonic travel, Avios changes in 2017 to why they charge high fees on awards:

Posted by The Points Guy on Wednesday, 16 November 2016

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[EDITED]

thebigseats
    Participant

Cruz looks somewhat disinterested & sounds somewhat vague in many of his answers (there’s a surprise then!) – he also looks like a complete scruff. Important? Perhaps not. But it speaks volumes in terms of attention to detail in my book. BA is a shadow of its former self, that’s for sure. This guy is a shadow of an airline CEO! Pathetic. BA is dead to discerning flyers.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I only realised yesterday, that I had never seen or recognised Mr Cruz, but for some reason had always thought of him along similar lines to the Portuguese banker, Antonia Horta Osorio.

I think image is important and not just the image of a product… but also those that work within the business. For a company that once sacked (or reprimanded) an employee for displaying a religious symbol, I think the airline needs to look deeper into their employees image, especially at the top.

summerfly
    Participant

The interview was informal and relaxed, I thought Cruz came across well. Of course he wasn’t going to give any specific answers.

As for some of the comments above – not many would look good sitting next to Brian Kelly!

icenspice
    Participant

Very good to see some much-needed Spanish (or should I say Basque) warmth and sunshine breaking through the clouds.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Morning,

I’ve edited some of this – I think it’s fine commenting on whether you think someone is smartly dressed or not (especially since the employees have to be smartly-dressed) but the rest is not really adding much, and whether it’s funny or not depends too much on the context.

Sorry it took me a while to respond but there’s some genuinely big news breaking about BA which will get its own thread in a second.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

May I ask why TominScotland’s post was deleted?

I may not have agreed with him, but it was a non-offensive opinion, phrased in a polite way and I support his right to disagree.

It looks like censorship worthy of a banana republic.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Thank you

MrMichael
    Participant

I don’t care what he looks like, actions are what is needed from Mr Cruz and I did not really see much to be concerned about nor particularly happy with. I think the whole interview was too soft. I thought Mr Cruz’s response on the subject of fuel surcharges was masterful….for a politician. He managed to give a non answer. I think Mr Cruz needs a Paxman type interview to really find out what the future holds, what BA has good reason to do, and what it does purely for the bottom line.

His remarks around competition, particularly the North Atlantic routes I thought was honest and telling, and as he clearly puts…all legacy carriers are in the unenviable position of having to protect their service ethos while being price competitive. Would any of us really want that responsibility?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

What I thought was revealing was the talk around the £400million allocated to premium cabins. So it would appear that catering is going to receive a massive fillip but what of the hard product…? As clear as mud (or maybe I’d lost attention by then). Also of note is that BA/IAG is most likely going to be adopting a revenue based system of Avios (and tier points?) awards and redemptions at some point in the future.

And is there really a problem with turning up wearing a jacket and tie? Maybe I’m tending towards the grumpy old man school in my dislike of open necks as an attempt to appear “cool”.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=775015]What I thought was revealing was the talk around the £400million allocated to premium cabins. So it would appear that catering is going to receive a massive fillip but what of the hard product…? As clear as mud (or maybe I’d lost attention by then). Also of note is that BA/IAG is most likely going to be adopting a revenue based system of Avios (and tier points?) awards and redemptions at some point in the future.

And is there really a problem with turning up wearing a jacket and tie? Maybe I’m tending towards the grumpy old man school in my dislike of open necks as an attempt to appear “cool”.

[/quote]

Or looking like a [censored content]

I’m with you Anthony, and he obviously can’t do ‘cool’

This is a cool CEO

https://absolutemarketingsolutions.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/1221_30-under-30-david-karp-tumblr-forbes-cover-012113_400x52312.jpg

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Mr Michael – “I don’t care what he looks like, actions are what is needed”

Not sure I altogether agree, I wonder how passengers would feel if they saw pilots flying in casual clothes.

I am a believer in a professional appearance giving a professional impression – unless of course you run a firm called Facebook 🙂

summerfly
    Participant

What would be the reaction if he had turned up in jacket and tie for a facebook interview with ‘the points guy’! He was obviously reaching out to the millenials. In 10 years time they will be the main customer base, sans suit of course.

MrMichael
    Participant

Personally Martyn I am a suit & tie sort of chap, and sort of agree, but sort of don’t. However not convinced he looked any different to “The Bearded Wonder” who started business dress down some 30 odd years ago. I recall back in the eighties a lot of raised eyebrows about an upstart starting an airline who was not wearing a tie. I am not a fan of Virgin in any of its myriad of guises, but not because RB does not wear traditional business dress.

PS Virgin Vodka was actually rather good 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls