Cruise ship not allowed to dock in Greenock, Scotland

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• ASK1945
    Participant

The BBC website reports tonight that the MSC Virtuosa left Liverpool earlier this week for a seven-day around the UK tour. Passengers on the cruise ship have been told they will not be allowed to disembark in Scotland, including those from Scotland!

Given the plethora of adverts in newspapers the last few weeks for cruises around the UK, with no international ports of call, how on earth was this not sorted out before the ship left Liverpool? And, what happens now for the thousands of passengers who have booked cruises with stops in Scotland?

You couldn’t make this up …………………

2 users thanked author for this post.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

My parents are due to sail from Greenock in just a matter of days. They have contacted MSC and await their response!

TupeloKid
    Participant

This reminds me of an airline ad (could it have been BA?) which offered- I’m guessing the locations because I can’t quite remember – London to Hong Kong return, non-stop.

TominScotland
    Participant

Certainly, this should never have happened and should have been sorted in advance. BUT, Inverclyde, where Greenock is located, has one of the lower infection rates in Scotland and is one of the few areas in central Scotland classified as Tier 1. As I live here, I am very happy to see measures in place which reduce the risks for this area as infection rates are currently rising in other parts of Scotland and the UK in general.

3 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

Tom – I reported this issue not as any criticism of the reason for banning the cruise ship, but because of the abysmal communications between the Scottish government and the cruise company and then the failure (by the company) to advise the passengers of the problem before they embarked at Liverpool.

There is no excuse for this.

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

• 3(x + 2) = 3x + (3)(2) = 3x + 6/ 2xc ( y-x2) 4x – 7x = x(4 – 7) = -3x = ??? is an easier problem to answer than trying to figure out why governments , in this case Holyrod can’t manage to communicate Covid rules effectively with the rest of us

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1101998]

Is the answer 7?

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1102009]

Bananas?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

The answer’s either Sixpence or A Hundred Inches Long

That will show your age!

Montysaurus
    Participant

The answer is 42.

Stevescoots
    Participant

Twelvety

NorskSaint
    Participant

It’s not very often I would defend (any) government, but in defence to the Scottish government, they’re adamant, from their statements that MSC was notified a number of days/weeks in advance.

I suspect MSC were hoping for a last-minute reprieve that didn’t come through and were then forced to announce it on the day people got in Liverpool.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Can anyone explain the logic of allowing people from England to drive to Scotland but not sail there? Does it matter how one gets from one part of the UK to another?

FormerBA
    Participant

The UK government issued very specific advice on domestic cruise travel back in April and this is the link to it.Domestic Cruise Advice

In one particular section it states

“When booking a UK domestic cruise that calls/docks outside of England, you should:

Check that the cruise activity is permitted in the UK nations you plan to visit.”

Seems perfectly clear to me and increasingly obvious that those who dislike the Scottish Government and those who wish to sow division choose to ignore the advice and pretend it does not exist.

GreenScot
    Participant

Just think back to Feb-Apr last year and the COVID cesspits that were Cruise Ships.

This risk profile of a cruise ship docking with a couple of thousand people, all originating prior to embarkation, from different households/locations and who have been in close proximity for days vs a car of say four people who have been in close proximity, likely all coming from a single destination, are not the same.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls