Crowne Plaza – Times Square – Open ? Partly Open ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Greg
    Participant

I have a reservation at the Crowne Plaza New York for next week, but there is a caveat on the website “Please note that at this time there will be limited dining options at the hotel but plenty of options right outside our doorsteps.”

I have read that there are NO dining options available whatsoever, including NO breakfast even if included in the package. Does anybody have any recent experience ?

Also, any tips for options to travel to the hotel from JFK as the hotel ignores all of my emails. Thanks

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It’s a while since I’ve stayed in Times Square, though I’ll be there in a couple of weeks in the Marriott Marquis.

I think the train takes you all the way there – so Air Train to Jamaica and then the train to Times Square. But there’s a note about construction around T1 and T2 with those Air Train stations closed and a shuttle bus, so you might need to do some more research on that..

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1243384]I have read that there are NO dining options available whatsoever, including NO breakfast even if included in the package. Does anybody have any recent experience ?[/quote]

euphemism for either

a. we don’t have the staff
    b. the hotel owners cannot afford to to keep the hotel running

If you can, perhaps consider another hotel option….

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

There are a few interesting recent reviews (since reopening) on Trip Advisor

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93454-Reviews-Crowne_Plaza_Times_Square_Manhattan_an_IHG_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html

Let us know how it goes !

sparkyflier
    Participant

I am inclined to agree with MartynSinclair. It is not a good sign when they do not bother to respond and for some things like breakfast you may well want that convenience in the same building after you wake up. Not responding is not acceptable and so if you can, find another.

FDOS
    Participant

Haven’t stayed in this property for a long time, but the comment about dining on the doorstep is on the money.

My choice of journey from JFK is a town car from Dial 7 https://www.dial7.com/index.html.

They are reliable and good value for money (in an expensive city).

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I took a yellow NYC taxi from the rank at T7 on Sat eve to Downtown Manhattan. Fixed fare, plus tolls. With 20% tip total was around $66, which I thought was competitive and only minimal wait for a taxi. (Certainly no more than waiting for an Uber or Lyft).
    As a reference, I took an Uber from Midtown to JFK and the fare was close to $90.

Perhaps not the most helpful comment – I visit NY multiple times per year with work and avoid staying in Times Sq like the plague. Most NY hotels are now offering some form of breakfast offering. Perhaps the CP have partnered with Butler who will deliver breakfast.

1 user thanked author for this post.

JDTraveller
    Participant

GoAirlink shuttle is a good alternative to a taxi or Uber, it was approx $45 including tip on my recent trip. Booked a shared shuttle but ended up with a sedan with only one other passenger both going to midtown Manhattan.

That said we stayed at the Intercontinental Times Square and went back to JFK on the subway and Airtrain. $14 total and it was only 65 minutes from Times Sq 42nd Street to JFK via the A. Though depends on what time you are arriving, not sure if like to be getting that route late at night.

Greg
    Participant

As an update to my original post

1 – Crowne Plaza is open, but it shouldn’t be. Nowhere to eat nor drink. Skeleton staff on reception who never answer the phone nor reply to emails. No concierge. No security. Room Key access in elevators not working so a free for all access to all floors. Rooms old, tired and out-dated with wind whistling in through old aluminium windows. Not recommended at all.

2 – JFK to Times Sq was $85 fixed fee by taxi. T Sq to La Guardia $55 fixed fee. Regardless of number of passengers Both meant the driver took the fastest route.

2 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Hi Morgan and thank you for sharing your experiences re the hotel and also transport options.

Re the hotel, sorry to hear you had such a poor experience. Really bad service and not what you expect from such a brand. However from my experience a Crowne Plaza in the US not really of the same standard you would find in Europe. I stayed in one in Dallas once and although they upgraded me etc, the building was in pretty poor shape and the room very dated.
    Anyway thank you for the update – this was helpful.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1245573]

I can confirm the same.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls