Crosswind landings

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

http://www.businesstraveller.com/middle-east/news/pilots-crosswind-landings-are-internet-hit

Is it right not to close an airport with such winds? Landings look quite hazardous. Or is it an optical effect?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A good cross wind approach is the only time a passenger can see the runway on short finals!

Swissdiver
    Participant

LoL Martyn! Well unless they are invited in the cockpit…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Aircraft generally have either a maximum permitted cross wind landing component, (max cross wind permitted for type to land) or the maximum demonstrated cross wind landing component (max cross wind that the aircraft has been demonstrated to land in).

Operators can also limit the cross wind landing for type.

It looks worse on the ground than when its being flown. The bigger problem is possible wind sheer at low level level.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“The bigger problem is possible wind sheer at low level level.”

Agreed. So long as you have sufficient control authority, x-wind landings are not dangerous, just take some concentration.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Good video – though the main reaction is to admire the skill of the pilots, and the way most of them straighten up when on the point of landing.

For some truly awesome landing shots – including some real cross-wind buffetings – watch this video from the late and much lamented Hong Kong Kai Tak runway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PCOcyt7BPI

The opening shot is dramatic in the extreme, and the music is stunning music too.

Stowage222
    Participant

Thanks for the memories Cedric. I landed in Kai Tak for the first time in a BA Jumbo in February 1977 – easily the most ‘interesting’ landing in my life.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Stowage222

Yes indeed, landings there were often interesting! But then, Kai Tak was simply unique. The pictures do not really do justice to the reality – there has never been a major airport approach like it. They always said you could watch the televisions in the flats as you came in: that may not have been literally true, but you could certainly see the television sets, and moreover see if they were on or not. The low approaches are not fakes – I lived in Hong Kong in the 1990s and took my children to watch the planes coming in from the top of the multi-story car-park at Kai Tak, and they were flying past no more that 150-200 metres from us and below us.

The “right hand down” turn as one came in over Lion Rock was without parallel in airport approaches anywhere and was, strictly speaking, beyond the operating safety limits of a number of aircraft. It was explained to me once by a Cathay Pacific pilot I was sitting next to: at landing, the plane has to be at stalling speed for it to stop before the end of the runway, and yet just before landing the plane has done a sharp right turn. How do planes turn right – they drop the right wing and fall sideways. And as they drop the wing and fall they speed up, because of gravity. So just before and going into the turn, the plane has to be travelling below stalling speed. The only way to do this is to juggle the throttle back and up, back and up, to stop the nose dropping. It is edge of seat time, every time.

And not all pilots managed it. While I was living in Hong Kong we saw three planes off the end of the runway into the sea. It really did happen.

Chek Lap Kok is a better airport (it has 4 times the capacity and is hugely safer, with much much better facilities for travellers); but Kai Tak was unique, and in a way I am sad that it no longer exists.

watersz
    Participant

fantastic vid had the honour of expirencing it twice

along with 4 aborted landings thru wind shear
    glory days……

malbarda
    Participant

Here is a view from the cockpit – on approach to Heathrow. It all sounds very calm and controlled to me…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6UFVgBG7HM&feature=digest_wed

LuganoPirate
    Participant

What did they do with Kai Tak? Is it now a housing estate?

watersz
    Participant

Have a look on google earth I recall some buildings on the runway.

i’m going to guess at an industrial park?

i’m sure wiki will know

dutchyankee
    Participant

Incredible video. There are many like this on YouTube with great ones of Kai Tak, Funchal and others. What I have always wondered, not being a pilot, is what impact these type of landings have on the main gear struts. It looks ‘painful.’

Stowage222
    Participant

I remember when Boeing was developing the landing gear for the 777 they analysed the video of the Korean 747 1 gear touchdown at Kai Tak to show just how strong the gear has to be to be safe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls