Crossair to be reborn?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

TerryBuchanan
    Participant

With PeopleExpress and Eastern being reborn in the States, anyone noticed how some of the former big Qualiflyer airlines are now in the Star Alliance ?

Swissair(now SWISS), Turkish,Tap Air Portugal ( now TAP Portugal ) and Sabena ( now Brussels Airlines).

Not sure if Crossair was part of the QF alliance but looks like they are being reborn !

http://www.crosswings.com/index.htm

SimonS1
    Participant

Apart from the fact that every page is under construction. And the c Crosswings 2007 at the bottom suggests they are not in a hurry…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Technically Crossair never died. After Swissair went bust, Crossair bought the routes, was recapitalised and changed its name to Swiss. Swiss in turn was later bought by Lufthansa.

rferguson
    Participant

That right LP. Swiss flights still carry the old Crossair code – LX.

A new ‘Swissair’ would be more a reborn airline than Crossair.

I think Pam Am takes the record for name resurrection. According to wiki it’s been used by FIVE successive airlines since the original giant went bust.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Good point Rferguson they do. I’d forgotten that that was originally Crossair’s, but strangely the ICAO code is “SWR”?

LHR_Fan
    Participant

Yes, and I wonder if British Caledonian will be reborn if Scotland gain independence? They’ll need a national carrier for sure.

Mind you, the old BR code used by BCal is now the prefix for Eva Airways.

transtraxman
    Participant

@LHR_Fan

I presume you have just said that with your tongue in your cheek. In the modern Europe, which an “independent” Scotland “wants to join”, are not national flagcarriers like national champions a thing of the past?

Legacy carriers are doomed. How British is BA? How Dutch is KLM? And how Italian will Alitalia be when the present saga with Etihad comes to a conclusion? etc. etc.

Anyway if such is the wish then there are four existing airlines to use for starters –
    BMI Regional, Loganair, ScotAirways, & Hebridean Air Services.
    Good luck, you would need it.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I just heard that end September Swiss’s agreement with Darwin, now Etihad Regional, will end and Swiss will not renew the contract, though it seems ET were willing to do so.

They have wet leased a -8 from Tyrolean and will fly that from October. Tyrolean is owned by Austrian, in turn owned by Lufthansa who own Swiss!

Not yet sure if it will be in Swiss colours or that of Tyrolean, but I’m delighted they’re flying the -8 instead of the Saab 2000.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

This might not be so far fetched. If anyone read or heard about Lufthansa’s new ‘WINGS’ plan (along with plans for a new long haul budget subsidiary) when it was revealed earlier this month, then you’ll know that this is indeed a possibilty.

LH is laying emphasis on it’s ‘wings-family’ (Germanwings, Eurowings) and Crossair could indeed be born as Crosswings. Let’s wait and see.

HaggisCH
    Participant

Swissair SR code is still being used by United Airlines. I have just booked a flight from SMF to SFO on United Airlines website entering my “Swiss” Miles & More Senator card and when my confirmation e-mail came in, my M&M account number is listed as – SR 2220XXXXXXXXXXX

LuganoPirate
    Participant

That’s right Haggis, and the ICAO for Swiss is still SWR.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls