Covid Testing at Heathrow

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• esselle
    Participant

A colleague recently flew into HKG from UK. Had a test. Was taken to quarantine facility. Stayed there for 14 days, with a further test after 7 days. Not allowed out.

JHK, MOL and their ilk are far from experts, but the media loves a bit of a tussle with the government, and so these stories do the rounds with some form of credibility attached to them.

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

Esselle. Was your colleague a HK resident otherwise, they would have not been allowed to enter HK?

And, do you know if they tested positive on arrival?

Arrivals from 10 countries, if HK residents, have to have hotel accommodation booked in designated hotels for 14 days. The UK is not one of these, they would have been able to quarantine at home

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1010514][/postquote]

His wife is HK resident and it was in their own apartment.

My point, though, is that there is no wiggle room, and airport and airline bosses don’t call the shots.

1 user thanked author for this post.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Not UK.but getting Nearer.Brussels Airport.Covid-19 Test Centre…with Certificate.
    Since 14 September,you can get Tested on Covid-19 at our airport after your trip,when returning from a Red Zone. The Internationally recognised PCR test can be taken at the Departure hall,outside the airport building. The Test centre is open daily from 3.30a.m.until midnight.Preferably you can book your Appointment Online,but can also Register on the spot.

In a Second phase, when the on-site lab is Operational at the airport (end of September), Departing Passengers too will be able to get Tested for the virus.Passengers who are travelling to a Country that Requires a Negative COVID-19 Test certificate,will be able to obtain this Certificate at the Airport. #safetravel… https://www.brusselsairport.be/en/passengers/the-impact-of-the-coronavirus/covid-19-test-centre-at-brussels-airport

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Even today, 6th January 2021 with the new imported strains, 30,000 covid patents in hospitals, daily figures of 1,000+ deaths and 62,000 infections, Heathrow airport is still thinking about what to do… what a stark contrast to entry procedures in Taiwan…

SimonS1
    Participant

I came back to Dubai last night, everyone was being tested on arrival whether or not they had a certificate. I got my results 16 hours later.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

When Accra airport reopened on 1 September, the requirement was a pre-flight negative PCR test, completion of a health declaration, and then a further test on arrival, with results processed within 30-45 minutes. The way they work it is that you have the PCR test as soon as you disembark, then the result is given to you at a separate desk, after you have gone through immigration and customs. So in practice there is no significant delay (baggage reclaim is always slow anyway). If you show positive, you are sent to a medical facility for additional tests and may be kept there for 7 days.

I appreciate that LHR is on an entirely different scale in terms of passenger numbers but I am amazed there is so little in place. Ghana saw a small increase in cases following the re-opening of the airport, but it has leveled off now and remains stable, at a very low rate.

JETHROTULL55
    Participant

+1

JETHROTULL55
    Participant

Totally concur.
    Absolute shambolic HM Government inaction.
    Inexcusable

PeterCoultas
    Participant

So the latest information is that you can’t (from next week) get on a plane to the UK without a test that shows you are covid free…. how helpful that our useless DoT doesn’t even know what test they will require…. they have had a year to get at least a semblance of a system in place so perhaps we can expect something by 2024 when they get voted out of office….

PeterCoultas
    Participant

According to the British Embassy in Stockholm only a PCR test will do…. British airways did not have a clue as to what test they needed for you to board. Sadly my wife will need to pay 300 € to get a test in Orebro. The PCR is probably the most accurate test but it is vastly more expensive and takes far longer to get the result (making the 72 hours a problem).

On a slightly different tack I have had both my vaccinations and that means I will be positive for covid with an antibody test (that is what the vaccination will have produced) and presumably also positive with PCR as bits of viral genome will have been injected…. So it may mean get vaccinated and be blocked from flying….

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls