Covid Testing at Heathrow

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• EasternPedlar
    Participant

There’s news that Heathrow is planning to offer Covid testing on arrival to passengers arriving from Red zones. Those who test negative will be spared the 2-week quarantine.

That’s very welcome news, and I believe that testing before flying / on arrival is the way forward. The new generation of tests that are cheaper and deliver results faster will make testing easier.

Frankfurt’s been offering Covid tests for quite a while now, and I’m surprised that it’s taken Heathrow so long to follow suit. Apart from greater passenger convenience, this could make a tidy packet for the airport operator…. badly needed revenue!

I’m supposed to be taking a flight to London in August. Any further information on testing at Heathrow would be highly appreciated.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I am having a tour of the airport tomorrow and so will report back.

6 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1004365]That’s very welcome news,[/quote]

Indeed, 10 weeks too late, but still welcome news
    What would be even better news , an announcement that every point of entry into the UK had the same process

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Just as a comparison, this is the new travel advice published by the Government of Sierra Leone for when international flights recommence to and from Freetown. Quite a contrast!

1 user thanked author for this post.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

[quote quote=1004377]Just as a comparison, this is the new travel advice published by the Government of Sierra Leone for when international flights recommence to and from Freetown. Quite a contrast![/quote]

@DavidSmith2
    Thanks for posting this. It is impressive – really well thought out!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-heathrow-airport-unveils-plans-for-covid-19-testing-facility-to-replace-quarantine-measures-12052133

£150 per test to cut quarantine or self isolation to between 5 to 8 days, for Heathrow arrivals…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’m just writing the story up – waiting for clarification since I have so many questions !

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1006900]£150 per test to cut quarantine or self isolation to between 5 to 8 days, for Heathrow arrivals…[/quote]

Possibly the worst of all money making schemes — It should be compulsory and not seen in the same vain as paying to jump queues like a security fast track pass for those who can afford it

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006908][/postquote]

The only real solution will come when governments get together and start some joined up thinking.

The Heathrow idea is fine in isolation but in aggregate it gets very tedious. Covid test before going to Dubai. Covid test to leave Dubai. Covid test at Heathrow followed by another Covid test a “few days later”. I’m all in favour of testing but not to excess. Maybe some form of Covid passport?

I suppose the problem is with those countries where you cannot trust the robustness of testing. After all if PIA have been flying planes around using pilots with pretend licenses, how could you trust a covid certificate is genuine?

4 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

100% agree with your above post .

A global pandemic needs to be managed globally , not locally . Otherwise we’re locked into this haphazard Heathrow / Dubai way of doing things for…. not months but years to come.
    It’s on, it’s off, we’re clear, we’re not , 14 days, 10 days, 7 days, no days , 2nd waves , 1 bubble, 3 bubbles, 8 people , open , closed , inside , outside , offside ….and that’s just in Scotland !!!
    Incredibly frustrating !!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1007646]The only real solution will come when governments get together and start some joined up thinking.[/quote]

I recall this being said months ago…. a global pandemic needs a global solution.

From an observational point of view – the UK seems to be running in all directions. Quarantines, self isolation, Covid 19 checks, initially only in T2 Heathrow, (what about other airports/Eurostar) – all appear to be changing weekly and in all directions. Grant Shapps proudly announcing on Sky News this morning, “I was caught out by my own rules too, so I know how people feel”.

I am not sure the Covid tests an arrival will achieve much (5 – 8 days self isolation still needed) – except for the £150 being charged per passenger. This is not for the typical family of 4 going on holiday.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1007761]I recall this being said months ago…. a global pandemic needs a global solution.[/quote]

Correct Martyn, months and months of dithering that we’ll never get back — time totally wasted —- Nero time !

EasternPedlar
    Participant

Thank you all for your replies.

The UK Government has still taken no decision on the Heathrow proposal. I agree that it’s not the greatest solution, and the charges proposed are exorbitant, but I’d still pay the £150 and get the tests done if they could save me a week in quarantine. Ideally, as @Martyn has said, all passengers should be tested on arrival, with a testing levy included in the cost of the ticket.

Incidentally, I have tested positive for covid antibodies (as the result of an infection in June) and presumably have some level of immunity. Again, there has been much talk of an immunity passport, but no decision. I’m wondering why I’m going to be sitting at home for two weeks when it’s unlikely that I’m going to get re-infected or infect anyone. It is frustrating!

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Accra Airport in Ghana re-opened today. A part of the process is a PCR test on arrival, with results to be given within 30 minutes. Passengers have to pay for the cost of this test. The re-opening announcement was only confirmed 2 days ago so I imagine it will take a few days for scheduled flights and passenger numbers to build up. But it will be very interesting to see how they will manage to test, analyse, report (and take payment) from 250+ passengers, when companies like BA, Turkish, KLM and Air France return.

It is also uncertain as to the reliability of these rapid tests, in terms of false negatives and positives. But that’s another matter entirely.

agsteele
    Participant

[postquote quote=1004365]There’s news that Heathrow is planning to offer Covid testing on arrival to passengers arriving from Red zones. Those who test negative will be spared the 2-week quarantine.[/postquote]
    That the Heathrow hype. At the moment the UK government is not offering reduced quarantine in return for a clean test. Regardless of what LHR puts into place there will still be a 2-week quarantine until/unless the government changes the regulations.

In any case, a test on arrival is not adequate. A clear test on arrival only means that the passenger has not developed a viral load sufficient to be detected. So for a testing regime to be effective there will need to at least one further test three or four days later on those who are clear on arrival. Enforcing that and paying for it may be too challenging and leave us with the 2-week quarantine as the easier way to go. Who will pay for the approx £300 total cost for two tests for each arriving passenger who has a clear test on arrival?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls