Covid 19 Travel Restrictions: is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

This morning I received an email from Aspire Lounges:

The Zurich Aspire Lounge is now open! Good news airport loungers, you can now visit the Zurich Airport Lounge

https://www.executivelounges.com/airport-lounges/zurich-airport-aspire-lounge?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Zurich%20re-opening&utm_content=Zurich%20re-opening+CID_a910030179163f1d7c380b7436679c6d&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=Book%20Now

Could this be the first step in the (admittedly long) road to normality?

Stay safe everybody.

Pat

1 user thanked author for this post.

J_Pathmore
    Participant

That’s certainly good.

What I find very interesting is the concept of continued border closures. Of course, screening will be expected when borders reopen (think US/external EU etc.) but outside of an Island nation like NZ or Aus, when do we expect large borders to reopen, under the assumption that COVID will never fully go away, it will only be managed more effectively.

Skeptics argue that the EU and other big borders will only re-open when there’s a vaccine, of course this is ludicrous because (a) that could be multiple years away or never happen and (b) even if they find a vaccine within a year, it will take another 1-3 years to vaccinate the better part of 7 billion people. Will the EU keep external borders shut this long? I can’t (or don’t want to) imagine that…

So on the topic of light at the end of the tunnel, when do we think intercontinental borders will reopen (and without some ridiculous 2 week quarantine that will kill off both business and leisure travel)? Based on airline schedules for June posted on this site, it would seem like they’re betting on some kind of intercontinental reopening soon.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=998806]So on the topic of light at the end of the tunnel, when do we think intercontinental borders will reopen (and without some ridiculous 2 week quarantine that will kill off both business and leisure travel)? Based on airline schedules for June posted on this site, it would seem like they’re betting on some kind of intercontinental reopening soon.[/quote]

My bet – July or August. At that stage Governments will no longer be able to fund people to stay at home becoming unemployed as they have been doing and business will need to resume.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=998809]My bet – July or August.[/quote]

..for Europe.

I think Asia will take a far more cautious approach in fully opening borders…

stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=998811][/postquote]

unfortunatly i tend to agree

J_Pathmore
    Participant

I hope you’re all correct. My fingers are crossed. I’m no epidemiologist, but all my readings suggest that closed borders for huge land connected countries like the US and those in Europe will have very limited benefits right now, and a high economic toll.

SimonS1
    Participant

Italy reopening from 3rd June, no quarantine.

https://www.thenational.ae/world/europe/coronavirus-italy-to-allow-international-travel-from-june-3-1.1020128

Football in Germany restarting today albeit behind closed doors.

I haven’t seen it reported but colleagues tell me EK is targeting 1 July for Dubai flights to crank up.

Things are starting to move.

capetonianm
    Participant

I saw on one of the television news bulletins this morning that Moenchen Gladbach have started playing and they filled the stadium with cardboard cutouts of the supporters. Brilliant idea.

GivingupBA
    Participant

J_Pathmore said, “….when do we think intercontinental borders will reopen (and without some ridiculous 2 week quarantine that will kill off both business and leisure travel)?”

My guess is July 2020 at the latest for much or most of the world including Asia

fatbear
    Participant

[postquote quote=998853][/postquote]

They knicked the idea from Dinamo Brest in Belarus. And the bulletins you saw were not accurate ( yet ). Gladbach were away at Frankfurt today and didn’t take the cut-outs with them. They are at home to Bayer Leverkusen next Saturday so we might get to see them then !

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thailand extends international arrivals’ ban.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=998816][/postquote]

Steve, I have always stated that things will get back to semblance of normality in September, June – July things start to open slowly, then you will have the inevitable getting back into sequence for the month of August and then September is when I see things starting to become a little easier for travel and easing of restrictions. That is of course there are no spikes during the months of July, August

Cambodia
    Participant

Hopenik. Ons sou die 29ste Maart vlieg Cambodia toe en op 26ste word die inperking inwerking gestel. Met al ons besittings verkoop, moet ons nou die tydperk deur wag. Ons is 12 met 7 van ons wat gaan skool gee. Tydperk word nou lank en ons word ongeduldig. Dit voel of daardie die liggie wil-wil wys en dan weer verdwyn.

ASK1945
    Participant

This is what comes up on Google translate:

Cambodia

“Hopenik. We would fly to Cambodia on the 29th of March and the restriction will be implemented on the 26th. With all our belongings sold, we now have to wait the period. We are 12 with 7 of us going to school. Time is getting long and we are getting impatient. It feels like they want to show the light and then disappear again”.

Whilst it appears to be about a family who are stuck somewhere, it’s difficult to understand why it’s on the Forum.

capetonianm
    Participant

I received this survey related to the future of travel, in case anyone wishes to complete it. Amongst other answers, I put that the worst things about travelling are overcrowding at security and boarding, Ryanair type passengers, and overtourism of many resorts.

https://www.surveys.amadeus.com/f/41493649/3df9/

Amadeus Global Traveler Survey (I think they mean Traveller)
    Hi! Thank you for taking an interest in this survey.

At Amadeus we are passionate about helping people explore the world, and we’ve been powering global journeys for over three decades. We realize that COVID-19 has turned our world upside down, but we are putting our technology and expertise to work in order to make journeys possible, safe and enjoyable again.

In this survey, we will be asking you about your experience as a traveler. Whether you used to travel frequently or not, for business or for leisure, we want to learn more about your personal experiences, and understand how this pandemic could modify your habits or expectations in the future. We will be focusing on journeys which include a flight, and asking you mostly about those parts of the trip that are not quite as smooth as they should be.

Thanks in advance for helping us re-imagine travel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls