Covid-19 travel Insurance

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

I am due to spend 5-weeks in Spain and am looking for a travel insurance policy that includes cover for Covid – does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable provider?

SimonS1
    Participant

Some colleagues used Battleface.

Remember many insurers will automatically void cover if you travel against FCO advice (Battleface covers that too).

1 user thanked author for this post.

PP Flyer
    Participant

I would give Trailfinders a call. Have heard some extremely positive things about the insurance which they are offering in the current covid environment.
    Not sure about the price, but I guess one gets what one pays for.

TheCount
    Participant

Battleface tend to be very expensive and will only cover covid up to a certain age, I forget what. But yes, they’re one of the only options for countries designated “essential travel only” by the FCO – e.g. most of the world. Important to remember that insurers will refuse ANY claim for any incident in a non-exempt country, not just covid. Not a bad deal for the insurance industry, they sold hundreds of thousands of annual travel policies but don’t have to meet a single claim except from exempt territories. If the only reason a country is declared “essential travel only” is covid, it’s grossly unfair to refuse other claims. Accidents and theft have nothing to do with covid. A large number of people travelling are probably unaware they’re not covered for anything. Either that or they’re wealthy enough to self-insure. Last time Kenya was declared “essential travel only” because of terrorism, the government arranged with AIG to offer inexpensive inbound policies to get tourists back. I used it, no problem, AIG is a recognised international insurer. I’ve suggested they do the same again. It’s surprising that the travel industry which is bleeding so profusely does nothing about insurance. There’s been very little press attention. It would be in airlines’ interest to negotiate insurance deals for customers. It’s one of the main things that would get people back in the sky. A very large number of people, myself included, would not even consider travelling uninsured.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Yep, all the ones I’ve looked at are saying insurance void if travelling against FCO advice. Whilst I understand their stance on Covid medical claims, I don’t get why, for example, lost/delayed baggage or loss/theft of belongings should be affected. Thanks for the info. I’ll check with Battleface and Trailfinders.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

It seems Trailfinders are bailing on us more ‘adventerous’ travellers. too!

Please note there is no cover for the entire duration of your trip if you commence travel contrary to FCO Advice.

Right, Battleface to the rescue?

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Staysure cover you for COVID repatriation and immediate medical attention, but not long term care.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1007660]Not a bad deal for the insurance industry, they sold hundreds of thousands of annual travel policies but don’t have to meet a single claim except from exempt territories. If the only reason a country is declared “essential travel only” is covid, it’s grossly unfair to refuse other claims. Accidents and theft have nothing to do with covid.[/quote]

Exactly. This is why when it comes to trustworthiness many of the insurers are considered on a par with the banks, utility companies and the turd on your local pavement.

TheCount
    Participant

Only fromexempt countries. Most of the world is non exempt so Staysure cover would be void.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

That’s how I read it on the Staysure website, so looks like it’s Battleface for just under £120 per person which, given the current circumstances, doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Any other recommendations appreciated….

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1008159][/postquote]

I know nothing about the company, but yesterday’s Times Travel section carried an advert from “AllClear” which claims to cover “Cancellation, Medical Expenses and Repatriation cover for Covid-19” and includes the over-50s.

http://www.AllClearTravel.co.uk

They are offering 20% off the base price by using the code TIM20

Please let us know if it is of any use.

TheCount
    Participant

But it says just as the other ones do: “As always, you are not covered if you travel against FCO advice.”

Battleface are the only hope but they charge too much for travel to countries that are low-risk except for covid. They were set up to look after reporters and aid workers travelling to war zones.

If the insurance industry had a sincere interest in solving this problem, they would acknowledge that the only reason a country is FCO-designated “essential travel only” is covid and that the many other risks of travel remain the same. They would simply add a rider to their normal travel policies excluding covid, but all the other provisions would stay the same. So why don’t they? Presumably because the worldwide insurance industry has already sold millions of annual travel policies. Having a legitimate-sounding excuse not to meet a single claim from most of the world is a dream come true. Isn’t there an insurance regulator?

One wonders if they will change their tune when it comes time to renew expensive annual policies and people don’t do so because they have no value outside the much smaller number of exempt countries.

It is much in the interest of airlines and the rest of the hospitality industry to solve this because millions of people like me simply won’t travel longhaul if they are uninsured against normal risks. It seems so obvious that I wonder why airlines on the edge of bankruptcy don’t use their influence to try to resolve such a gaping anomaly.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1008232]But it says just as the other ones do: “As always, you are not covered if you travel against FCO advice.”[/quote]

You are absolutely correct, of course. And, I agree with your following paragraph.

However, at least if one is about to travel to a country which is not on the FCO exclusion list (eg Portugal), it is good to know that there are companies that will cover you for Covid-19 related eventualities. An example would be for those just caught up in the Croatia problem this weekend. Going before last Wednesday would have meant that the insurance cover was still applicable.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Thanks, ASK1945, but they appear to be quoting the same get-out clause:

If you travel whilst the FCO advise against all but essential travel, claims resulting from that trip will not be covered under any section of your policy.

TheCount
    Participant

As I understand it they will cover you if at the time you began your policy & arrived in the country it was exempt. If the FCO changes its status you are still covered within reason, probably for the original duration of the trip. But personally I’m more worried about non exempt countries, i.e. most of the world.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls