Covid-19 testing: your experiences

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)

• marissaadrianna83
    Participant

I wonder how this will play out.. I believe there was a similar discussion re the Champions league final (2 English clubs having to fly to Portugal along with fans, when the game could & should have been played at Wembley).

Football bigwigs demanding the rules to suit them……

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9699193/Uefa-threatens-strip-Wembley-Euro-2020-final-unless-VIPs-allowed-WITHOUT-quarantining.html

Thanks for the link, I agree with you

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I have found another ‘interesting’ feature of the melange of regulations. I fly from the UK on 8 July (at 2pm). For this I need a pre-departure PCR test to fly in to Ghana (within 72 hours). The night before I will be at the Euros Semi-Final, for which I need a lateral flow test within 24 hours of the doors opening (5pm). Apparently a PCR test will not do. So I will need to complete both a PCR and a lateral flow test on the same day. At least that is how I read it!

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1104406]

David

If I have this clear, under the regulations you will be taking a PCR (“Gold Standard”) test on on or around Monday 5th July. You don’t have to go into quarantine then until your flight, so quite correctly you are able to use your ticket to go to Wembley and sit with 60,000 other people, not socially distanced, all of whom (like you) have shown a negative lateral flow test (which is accurate approximately 50% of the time).

The following day when, presumably your earlier PCR test shows you as negative, you are permitted to get on a narrow tube (aka airplane) with 200 other people crammed together for several hours.

Do I have this correct?

Bizarre.

PS: this is not meant to criticise you, but the rules.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[quote quote=1104411]Do I have this correct?[/quote]

More or less, yes. I will be in the ‘neutral’ seats at Wembley so may not be quite so bad but still the rule is that when you are in your seat, you can remove your mask! The flight back to Accra has just been changed from a 777 to a 350, so that has the newer business seats which are a bit more roomy. But if I fail the COVID test on arrival in Accra, then it’s 2 weeks quarantine in a Gvnt-approved hospital for me. At least I’m double-jabbed.

There is a feeling of everyone making this up on the hoof though!

2 users thanked author for this post.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

DavidSmith2: On the hoof certainly. I’m beginning to wonder if all these half baked responses are designed to help the virus spread faster !

TonyR
    Participant

[postquote quote=1104894]

It’s so good to know the BT business community is so prescient that they get everything right when faced by a massive unprecendented global disruption that is constantly evolving in unexpected ways. Personally I am more inclined to “No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy”.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/08/09/private-test-firm-facing-traveller-backlash-pcr-swabs-pile-streets/

Pedigree6
    Participant

It is very clear that you are paying an exorbitant amount of money for a reference (for a 2 day test), to put on your locater form.
    You have already had a negative test within the last 4 to 5 days – so no one cares about this test result – Randox collection boxes prove that !
    If you have previously travelled to the UK and already bought a reference, why not use a slightly amended version of that the nest time you travel.
    Do you think there is someone in our GOV.UK double checking with these test providers to see if the reference is kosha ?
    The last trip I made to the UK in June, I booked the 2 day test – £99 – came in the post to where I was staying. Got the result 5 days later on the morning I was returning home. 2 days prior to that, I took another test – £99 – to be able to fly home! Whilst I was in England I mixed with hundreds of people. I could have infected them all, for all our government care. (Seems to me they are hell bent on reducing the population – what a way to go about it!)

Moral of the story – unless the 2 day test result is immediately available – it is of NO USE – SCRAP it at once you fools!!!

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Apologies if this has been previously asked:

I will be ARRIVING into T5 on a Monday from a currently Green list country. I will then be returning to the same Green list country within 72 hours (Thursday).

Will I be able to use the day 2 test for my pre departure test OR my pre departure test for the day 2.

I appreciate I need to advance buy a ‘day 2 test’ to get a reference number for the arrivals form – do pre departure tests have a accepted reference numbers for the arrivals form.

I accept I may need to spend more to get the results quicker, but the day 2 and pre departure tests I believe can be the same test.

I called BA, who are likely to be the sole provider of flight tickets and they said they could not answer the question, down to the traveller to find out.

TIA for any help..

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1107433]

Hi Martyn,

Earlier this month I used Day 8 test as a pre-departure test. This was from / to Portugal, an Amber list. At departure they only looked at the type of test, PCR, and the date and time of the test.

Like you, I tried to get advice as to whether there was any difference in PCR tests, and whether what I proposed, using same test twice, could be done. Nobody would answer, I guess because it is not on the list of standard cut & paste answers.

Hope this helps.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Seems to becoming more realistic..still expensive…however….slowly
    slowly..https://www.testingforall.org/product/day-2-day-8/

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Covid: Government warns Covid test firms over misleading prices

More than 80 private Covid travel test providers listed on the government’s website will be issued two-strike warnings over misleading prices, Health Secretary Sajid Javid has announced.

I wish they’d tell us which ones they were, that way we could avoid them now !

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Arrivals day 2 test – This should get you a code for the UK arrivals locator form, plus a test kit in the post (if it arrives) all for £28. If there is anything cheaper (and legit) please post…

Fully Vaccinated Amber Arrivals – Day 2 Test (Home Kit)

2 users thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1107804]

Hi Martyn, I tried to book this a week ago, and they claimed website problems. Today this appears on BBC News under Watchdog launches new crackdown on PCR test firms:

“The Competition and Markets Authority said it had opened a probe into one firm, Expert Medicals, following complaints Covid test results had not been provided on time or at all.”

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls