Could innovation help the New Normal for travel?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Inquisitive
    Participant

It looks like I have to travel long haul as soon as the things getting a bit normal, but I am a bit scared.

I know my travels will be minimised taking advantage of more Zoom/Skype calls, but may not be completely avoid travel. Plus leisure travel is required anyway.

Even with all the additional cleaning, guaranteed good HEPA filter system, boxed food and masks, I am worried about spending 14-15 hours in the plane now.

I am just thinking what could be the new innovations that will be cost effective and help the travellers in the future as new normal.
    I list below my wish list and requesting fellow travellers for ideas:
    1. Supersonic plane that can take me anywhere in the world in 2-3 hours. I read a lot of articles that technology exists, could it be cost effective now, if people are willing to pay, say twice the amount of business class tickets?
    2. With present flying time, could there be any safe bubble around each seat? (How one can sleep with mask)?
    3. Could we have a tablet that will stop hunger pang temporarily?
    4. Could we pre-hydrate our body pre-boarding in such a way so that drinking and toilet need can be eliminated for 15 hours?

I understand the above maybe a bit paranoid, just feel like posting it.

capetonianm
    Participant

5) Scantily clad stewardesses (or stewards, as per choice) on hand (pardon the expression) to perform special services at cruise altitude
    6) Elimination of queues at security, boarding, disembarkation, baggage collection
    7) Painless instant transfer to destination where a 5* meal and appropriate beverages will be waiting.
    8) Removal of jet-lag and tiredness symptoms.

Dream On!

GivingupBA
    Participant

9) Free government first class tickets for life for anyone aged 70 or over (to any destination)

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Relax – There will be no ‘new normal’
    Certainly this is a very transient period particularly visibly affecting air travel that may last for up to 6 months for most of us or in certain cases considerably longer.
    There are always the ‘doomsday merchants’ that seem to hatch in their thousands in any world crisis plus the miraid of ‘instant experts’ who personally I find a particular pain in the a–.
    The cup is already half full despite the temporary setbacks that will continue for a short while yet but there will be a positive outcome.

It is my view that the ‘new normal’ will be whatever was normal prior to this unfortunate epidemic.

4 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000936][/postquote]

I agree. Progress is being made and borders are starting to reopen. Reciprocal air arrangements are under discussion and we should also hear this week that distancing in UK is being reduced to 1 metre, which will help massively in airports.

The challenge is that such good news steps don’t help sell the Daily Mail and they don’t pander to the ‘something must be done’ types….

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have often wondered whether land to airside security could be made more efficient by passengers entering the system via drop off points around the airport perimeter, with security checks being decentralised. Accepted, you would need to create secure transport for passengers to be taken from an offsite security point to airside but there could be an advantage by reducing the security congestion, both the additional gate security.

Apart from the machinery used for checking passengers, the security process has remained largely unchanged, for many years. Once flight and passenger levels start to increase, even if social distancing is reduced to an ‘acceptable distance between people, I fear long q’s will return. Anything to increase the passenger flow speeds through an airport, must surely be considered innovative.

ASK1945
    Participant

Simon

I agree with both you and cwoodward.

However, as a reader of both the Times and the Mail I can assure you that both papers have been at the forefront of trying to get the stupid ministers, supposedly running the UK government with any degree of common sense, to act earlier than they have (or maybe will do).

HKFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000922][/postquote]

Wouldn’t worry too much about the time spent on the plane. Unless you happen to sit right next to someone who is infected and touching the same things like armrests or food trays, the cabin air itself is fairly risk free. The pressurization system will completely exchange the entire air mass of the cabin in about 5-10 minutes. The circumstances are not optimum for airborne diseases to spread.

Also all this talk about a new normal will fade out as fast as new cases go down around the world. Whatever the new normal was thought to be it won’t be needed because this disease, just like all other diseases, will slowly subside over time through a combination of immunity in the population and mutation of the virus itself into more benign forms.

I live in a place that was hit before the pandemic was even declared a pandemic. Things are getting back to normal – the old normal. Sure you still see hand sanitizers everywhere and some people still choose to wear masks but every day is closer to the old normal.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Shoni BR
    Participant

Re your question #2:you might even fall asleep with the mask, but I doubt if you will wake up with your mask on.

cwoodward
    Participant

ShoniBR wrote: but I doubt if you will wake up with your mask on.

Why would that be ?
    On Monday I had a long wait of 50 minutes at a Government department and slept in the waiting room chair for 35 minutes.
    Mask intact and in place on waking.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls