controversial LH FF Cards

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

A German colleague has sent me this article from SPIEGEL Online.
    http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/0,1518,651303,00.html#ref=rss

Unfortuantely it is in German, so for the English speaking folks out there, I try and translate it in English ( I hope my German from school is not rusted in—so please be amicable to me) . Here it goes…

Controversial Frequent Flyer Cards
    The Authorities is auditing LH

Controversial sales practicing of LH. The LH company is being audited by the Authorities over the awarding of frequent flyer/loyalty cards to African merchants–reported by SPIEGEL.
    Some of these merchants are suspected to be involved in drug- and plagiarism- trafficking.

The German LH specifically targeted Nigerian and Ghanaian merchants to attract them to the company and therefore comes under fire from the Authorities who are investigating internally already.
    The SPIEGEL reports that in the past years LH has issued two loyalty cards to two merchants respectively coming from those countries mentioned above who had been repeatedly suspected by both German Customs and Police of drug-and plagiarism-trafficking as well as commiting money-laundrying.

It is said that one member of this LH-Merchant-Club has onced checked in more than 90 luggages. LH gives members of this club special sales/discounts. Since Autumn 2008 LH has offered the club members a creditcard which can be used in more than 200 countries worldwide.

Since the transfer of electronic monetary funds of over 10.000,- Euro is monitored by the German Authorities, the “Zollkriminalamt” (German Customs Bureau for Criminal Investigation) will investigate the incidents thoroughly.

Wow,..what a story. So those “Hon members” who received from LH their highly praised and wished “Black Card” for free are now being monitored…. Will the First Class Terminal and Lounges of LH/LX will be full of these “Hons” in the future since they might be questioned and kept in custody by the Authorities??
    What if that happens to our British ” Hons” from BA and VS in Britain or abroad …???

Senator
    Participant

While my German is not the best, I fail to see anything in here related to the Miles & More FF programme. There is mentioning of a corporate programme to entice new business perhaps which to my knowledge is standard, especially when establishing new routes.

Neither do I see anything here pertaining to “Hon” status of the above-mentioned M&M programme. By the way, you could we PM, rockstar, moviestar and LH will only reward this by earning it.

My interpretation of this article is that LH has provided access to standard commercial programs to individuals with dogdy behaviour, and has not made any background checks on these.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

In general you are right Senator. If LH has not got any knowledge of theses disreputable HONs then they have nothing to hide and feel guilty of something.

Another thing, you think the German Authorities will just bother LH with something senseless and let the Media knows about it ?? Is not that quite a very stupid thing to do? LH could file for lawsuit as their reputation could be at stake here !! If the accusations are right and LH deliberately knows of the disreputable HON’s business attitudes and still offer them the prestigous HON Circle Card for free–what kind of a message is that to other HONs who are reputable persons who struggles to earn those 600.000 miles in 2 years. They strive to get the card and feel free to be in such luxuriuos haven. And for LH who then knows about those criminal attitudes of their HONs–what would the normal pax of LH think about this?
    It sounds like in a bad third world country which is known for corruption and sleaze mentality.

And how will that feel as a reputable HON– when during your stay in the First Class Terminal or Lounges in FRA/MUC…the German Authorities will be conducting checks frequently -asking HONs, if they are allegedly involve in certain drug-plagarism trafficking, money laundrying or financing terrorism ??
    The lounges are supposed to be known as a haven for luxurious serenity and outstanding experiences –and definitely not a place for random checks of any possible drug lords or financer of terrorism/money laundering.

That will be an absolutely PR disaster and a very bad picture of HON Circle. Who will go in such lounges and be a possible candidate for a check–just do not forget you are being monitored already for just having a HON Circle card for free !!

About the comment that LH will only reward famous people in music/cinema industry or politicians if they have earned the miles required—I have heard often that LH management make certain exemptions to some circle of people–so you cannot say in general that they do not do it !!

Certainly nobody wants any background checks inorder to get one’s airline highest status level. This is in general a ground not to be a member for this loyalty club. LH is definitely in a bad picture here.

Just hope that LH and the German Authorities settle this one properly and those CONs will definitely get banned for being HONs !! I am sure no reputable HONs would like to be associated with such CONs in any place.

sven77079
    Participant

The card in question is the “Lufthansa Merchants Club” which is the replacement for the “Lufthansa Traders club” and it offers special rebates and incentives such as baggage allowances and access to lounges, it has nothing to do with Miles & Less.

Hess963
    Participant

HI everyone !!

To Sven–do you know which lounges those eligible Merchants Club holder go to in FRA and/or MUC? They probably get access to Senator Lounges or even FCT. Are you sure they aren’t awarded the HON card, especially when they are vey loyal to LH or LH management acknowledge them? I know specially one person who was rewarded a HON card because LH management acknowledge him as a “loyal” customer–whatever that means ??

It is actually the checks or random checks which could be inforced by the Authorities in the lounges which really feds me up, because it is should be a haven to relax and not to be interrogated. Some people from other cultures like Asia would feel such actions highly inappropriate as they could lose face in front of strangers–eventhough it could only be a harmless questioning. It just doesn’t fit in ambience of an international lounge!!

What happens when British Authorities implement such actions in BA First Lounge in T5–what would BA think of it? What if BA is like LH the one who is monitored by the Authorities for such actions mentioned before.

Hess963
    Participant

HI everyone !!

I was in FRA last monday and came across one of the senior check in staff I know–I just asked about this whole story written in the SPIEGEL–I actually did not expect an aswer–But this person told me that the relevant people at managements are rotating over the issue and that any further comments will be meaning risking the job for just telling something over it directly. So I just end it and board the flight back to London. As far as I know you are obliged to hold any comments regarding pending investigations isn’t ?? Hope it was just a press hoax !! LH did not deserve such mess in general—-I think one of the previous comments said that you cannot scan the lives of your clients before regarding them any loyalty cards or something similar than this. Well, mates I am just surprised as anyone here !!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls