Continual sore throat after long hauls

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

• first_class_please
    Participant

I arrived into Heathrow yesterday morning on an overnight flight from the Middle East.

Within 10 hours I’ve got a full blown “man flu”

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Purely medicinal Martyn? Mmmmmmm!

FCP, man flu is very serious, and the symptoms far worse than any a flu caught by the fairer sex. The best cure is Gin and Tonic whilst lying flat out in front of the telly watching some good sport. Oh, and a couple of Beechams in between the Gins!

Get well soon,
    Dr. Pirate.

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

Hi all,

having read this thread now, I thought we can contribute too to solve this dilemma of a sore throat, one of us was constantly sick after long-haul flights, but we discovered a possible solution for us which does actually work, we had been recently to BKK and DXB and no-one got sick thanks to using Nasal spray before our flights and during our flights every couple of hours, plus sanitizing our hands on an equally regular basis, plus drinking lots of water before, during and after our flights. We hope this helps, it’s something which works well for us.

Cheers and safe flights.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I am flying long haul every 2 weeks and also take several internal flights within, for example, North America.
    I don’t suffer sore throat but, my nasal passages really suffer as do my eyes (dry, irritated, scratchy) and my throat is often very dry.
    I use a saline nasal spay and regular eye drops.
    The worst is following an 8-9 hour flight – I have occasions where is actually difficult to open my eyes due to lack of moisture.

I’ve not found a suitable cure yet…..

paulkaz
    Participant

A sore throat remedy from an isolated farming friend in country Australia. Two teaspoons of the herb thyme stewed in a tea for 5 minutes. Gargle small mouthfulls and swallow. Some of the wet leaves can be stuck on the upper lip to clear nasal passages. Works like witchcraft!

Agamemnon
    Participant

I don’t suffer from sore throats too much, but I can almost be guaranteed to suffer from a nose bleed within a day after a long haul flight even when regularly drinking water throughout. So clearly the humidity must have some major effects on the ENT region as the previous posters state.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Seasoned traveller, have you tried artificial tears? I have to use them occasionally as I had a horrible eye infection some years back which has resulted in significant scarring to the cornea, and it has become (unsurprisingly) very sensitive to dry air. The ones I use are called “Tears Naturale Free”, IIRC (the “Free” part referring to the fact that they are free of preservatives). They come in little disposable plastic droppers. I always keep a couple in my hand luggage in case my eye starts getting irritated.

Martyn, you say you don’t drink much – well maybe that’s true on the plane, but how much JW Blue do you knock back in the lounge??! Hehehehe 😉

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Ian, you may have just found the solution as all my sore throats occur AFTER the inbound sector home. T5 is the only lounge I use that serves JW Blue AND I never get a sore threat after flying out from T5….. only a headache!!

Hope the celebrations went well, welcome to SAGA (such a great age)!!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

They have JW Blue in T3 as well, Martyn 😉

LuganoPirate
    Participant

All this talk of JW is making me thirsty. Just bought a bottle of Grappa matured in Tennessee whiskey barrels. Exquisite. Wish I could share it with you!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Actually wish it was lunchtime so I could have a small glass. Somehow seems wrong to have it with an OJ and Special K at breakfast!!!

BFPTravel
    Participant

Just remember that any alcohol will reduce the effect of any medication! Manuka honey is excellent for sore throats – take a teaspoonful as it kills the bacteria as it moves down your throat. Avene spray from Boots is excellent to spritz on your face during flights – it’s light and easy to carry. Don’t forget to moisturise gentlemen too!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Ian, since BKK moved to T5, I no longer use the T3 lounge – but would do take your word for it…

LP – next time you have a lunchtime flight out of T5 (or T3) happy to meet in the lounge for a whisky and special K breakfast, although they no longer serve special K !!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Ian from HKG

Haven’t done so far but will certainly try them now. Thanks for the tip.

WM2010_SW2
    Participant

I like the replies suggesting pure malts. In my experience, as a physician, the most logical cause of traveller’s sore throat is the proximity to fellow travellers carrying throat viruses. How often do you sit down and the next seat passenger gets out a handkerchief and starts blowing his/her nose?
    I can’t quite see why a dry atmosphere should cause a sore throat for days after the flight.
    Other than the astringent effects of pure malt, I suppose you could try an Asian-style surgical facemask, but these are incapable of filtering out viruses.
    I’m afraid that minor viruses are an unavoidable element of air travel!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls