Connecting in Helsinki

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

While I have been to Helsinki a few times, I usually have stayed overnight at the Hilton at the airport for my connecting flight. Soon I will be flying from Warsaw to New York via Helsinki on AY, business class, and have what I believe is a tight connection, of 55 minutes. We are both able bodied, etc., but concerned about having to go through immigration as connecting from an intra schengen flight to exit EU. Will we have to go through security again, and if so, do they have fast track for this as well? Im sure it will be ok, but curious to hear from those who might have done this before through Helsinki. Thanks in advance.

stevescoots
    Participant

I have done that tight before a few times but only had to do the transit security not immigration (would you need to do immigration?)as i have been HKG to LHR, that said usually it was less than 20 mins from off the plane to gate.

my concern on it would be more any hold luggage, i have not had my luggage make it 3 times when on the tight schedule

1 user thanked author for this post.

Londonian
    Participant

Immigration is required, as the OP said, because he is transferring from the Schengen zone to the non-Schengen zone. I have made the connection before very easily but never travel with hold luggage. The airport is very efficient.

iflypremium
    Participant

AFlyingDutchman I honestly would not worry ! Like yourself I had a very tight connection for NRT-HEL-MAN. On landing at Helsinki,I went through transit security (the queues move fast) and was at my Manchester aircraft…all within 5 minutes ! If you still have an issue reference delays into Helsinki, ask the crew if you are able to disembark first ? Finnair already know how many transfer passengers they have on every flight – that’s Nordic efficiency for you ! Happy Flying !

traveldoc1
    Participant

If you arrive from within EU you do not have to go through security again – only immigration from Schengen to non-Schengen. And even this is seamless with automated passport-reading machines. Great airport to transit through, and Finnair seem to be able to manage the transferees very well (as does ZRH)

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Like the others, I recommend you stop worrying. HEL is extraordinarily efficient, and quite compact. Where security is required it is right at the end of the jet bridge and normally dealing only with one flight at a time. The Offspring and I have been through HEL many times on 40 minute or 55 minute connections, with checked bags (albeit always non-Schengen to non-Schengen) and it is super-quick. In fact on my 40-minute connections I was able to go to the lounge, have a shower, a bite to eat and a drink, and still get to my gate with time to spare!

The only time when we have had a problem was when the incoming flight was so late (more than three hours) that Junior Offspring completely missed the connection (which could have happened anywhere, on any airline).

AY are selling themselves and HEL heavily as a connecting airline/airport and IME (apart from the example above) have delayed onward flights to ensure connections are made.

You will have AY lounge access, of course, but for other pax considering transiting through HEL who don’t have access to the AY lounge, I can thoroughly recommend the Almost@Home lounge, which is lovely. Only one shower, though, so get there early!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls