Compensation for loss of A380 flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• spudseamus
    Participant

I;m with you RicH 100%

Danwolf
    Participant

I’ve only had an equipment change once in my years of travelling a month ago on Oman air. A local office rep called to advise that they had to switch to a gulf air plane (gulf air crew, etc). I was given a choice to either stay on same plane or change ticket around to another flight. The woman was helpful in securing one of the gulf air ‘sleeper seats’ (I.e. flat seats not angle lie flat, as their J is a combination of both) – not sure if it helped that I had status (and mentioned it).

I know WY is a smaller airline, so something of this nature may be less of a task, but I think the key thing here is service and service recovery. Ok, an equipment change might happen, but the key thing is how they handle the situation.

Generally speaking, we don’t care what type of plane we are on, more the seat product (in J and F more, Y I suppose in most cases the seats tend to be more generic than inconsistent J and F products on many airlines).

Saying that, I will pick and choose who I fly and what routes dependent on what hard (seat) J/F product is available – never a route with old J or F on BA (note: if flying J and offer to upgrade to F, I decline old F), etc.

ToxicAir
    Participant

In order to get the thread back to its focus, please refer to the original opening entry. We all appreciate that airlines have to change aircraft type for operational requirements. Accepted.
    Thus EK have done this with notice to its pax where possible (though there have been some slip ups!).
    It is when the CEO then makes a statement to Bloomberg in the 22nd March Interview that there should be compensation or a gesture to those who had bookings originally on AB380’s but were changed. Either substantiate the offer by communicating to your airline staff or directly to the Pax affected.
    EK has done neither.
    Thus the credibility of the CEO is held in question. (Loose Cannon on deck !)
    And if the CEO was quoted out of context or misrepresented, I am sure that EK have a sufficient large & professional PR department to handle it with a new statement or correction. Again nothing as EK are trying to bury this one !
    …. Perhaps he should not talk with Bloomberg if he cannot trust their journalists, but rather speak to Reuters or other news service!

Still waiting for any communication from Emirates on this matter! Think EK still trying to bury this one ………

poisonedcabinair
    Participant

Skywards are stating that they have nothing to do with this, even though members are supposed to be provided with Skywards mileage as compensation! Instead they are passing all queries to Customer Affairs, who are not commenting on the matter! Very shoddy ! C’mon Emirates communicate clearly the situation to your customers!

Tim Clark is keeping his heaed down on this one ….. there has been no communication from the airline as to their plans as to how they intend to provide either points or cash as compensation. The credibility of the airline of both Tim Clark and the airline rests on fulfilling their public statements! The airline is pushing its AB 380 programme hard and wants an all AB 380 programme to and from LHR, so its time for them to meet their pronounements to its customers.

poisonedcabinair
    Participant

I am being informed by a source that the PR group for Emirates have claimed that Tim Clark’s remarks were taken out of context. If that is the case then why have we not heard from Emirates with a retraction of the interview or denial.
    We have heard neither, which seems extraordinary from an airline that has an enormous profile in the avition indsustry and a Public Relations department with appropriate budget to ensure that an accurate and fair reflection of its CEO’s remarks and reputation is kept intact!
    I would suggest that they have failed in their duties by representing Tim Clark’s remarks as being’ out of contex’t so long after the interview.
    It does not reflect well on the airline in my opinion, to be now ducking and dodging an admission & undertaking by the CEO!

SwissExPat
    Participant

I have had 4 aricraft changes on EK in the last year. [mentioned on another thread in this BT Forum].

Always concerning the private suites in F although it was always the case that a 777 was involved, never a 380.

Once EK did nothing and I did ask for some miles as compensation but NOTHING.

Another time I was moved to a 380 from LHR rather than LGW. [as an aside, when EK were offering different products from LHR and LGW, I noted during a booking process that the seats in F differed by approx £250 per sector if it was a380 suite as compared to a 777 non suite flight. Also on the EK booking page, there is always an indication if the aircraft offers private suites in F]

The Third time, I downgraded myself on entering the plane and did received the miles back which I had used to upgrade. Thankfully I had used miles and therefore the refund was easy to compute but I shudder to think how I would have gotten real Cash back given the complexity of ticketing structures.

And finally on the 4th occasion of a change, [and I am being balanced in this comment] I had expected a normal 777 skycruiser deat in F and on entering the plane, the F cabin was private suites i.e an aircraft swap had IMPROVED the product offered.

I believe Mr Cook is absolutely right to suggest that PAX get some refund/gesture if an inferior product is substituted.

If you booked a exec room in a hotel and arrived to find the Hotel had overbooked or had some incident that made your booked room unavailable, you would be immediately compensated in that you would pay the lower room price.

Same in a restaurant, you order a fine bottle of wine for x and the waiter comesback and says it is sold out you’d only pay for the wine ou drink! How is it that the Airlines can avoid all these ‘Norms’. It comes down to the fact that they already have your money.

The CEO of EK acknowledging this is very welcome and it would be a pity if this was buried. If EK can lead the aviation world in aircraft purchases and services [When their product works it is unsurpassed at the moment] can they not also lead the world in steepping out from the crowd of ‘deny/delay/dont pay’ merchants that hide behind ‘Terms & conditions’ ?

In terms of their revenue hit in say giving affected PAX way 5,000 EK miles, it would be completely negligble.

Hear! Hear! Well said …Swiss Expat…

SimonS1
    Participant

I completely agree some gesture is in order.

However Tim Clark is not the CEO of Emirates, he is the ‘President’. I’m not sure what is behind this title, however those of us who have worked in large organisations know that from time to time people in that type of role are prone to make (usually innocent) gaffes when put on the spot.

It sounds to me like Emirates are trying to distance themselves from the comments. Phrases like “taken out of context” are often uttered by politicians and are generally code for saying it wasn’t his role to make such promises.

In other words you are flogging a dead horse really.

Letter and response from Emirates in the BT September issue:
    NO COMPENSATION
    In March, Tim Clark, chief executive
    of Emirates, made a statement on
    Bloomberg regarding the need
    to compensate passengers who
    had been moved off A380 flights
    to other equipment owing to
    wing inspections. However, since
    this was reported on Business
    Traveller’s Middle East website
    [see businesstraveller.com/tags/
    emirates, March 22], there has been
    no mention by the airline about their
    intentions. I believe its customer
    affairs are trying to bury this story as
    they are embarrassed by it and the
    implication that they may have to
    provide either cash or points to those
    passengers affected.
    Do you not feel that Business
    Traveller should be following up the
    status of this story on behalf of the
    readers? Several of us have been
    affected by this and I feel Clark is
    being disingenuous in suggesting
    that there is compensation and then
    not following up on it. If he feels
    that the comments were taken out
    of context or are incorrect, ask him
    to retract the statement and talk
    with a reputable journalist such as
    yourselves on this matter.
    Michael Stokes, UK/UAE
    ? Emirates replies:
    We apologise if a newspaper
    article may have reported Mr
    Clark’s remarks out of context;
    however, Emirates’ conditions
    of carriage apply. Emirates
    operates one of the youngest
    fleets in the industry, having
    recently taken delivery of new
    B777s and A380s, and does not
    guarantee a particular aircraft on
    any given route.
    While we understand the
    excitement generated at the
    prospect of flying on the A380,
    we do not provide compensation
    when we change an aircraft, and
    believe the excitement of the
    overall Emirates experience will
    please all of our customers.

SimonS1
    Participant

In other words the game’s up and it’s time to move on. Vote with your feet if you wish.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls