Combine WTP and WT on BA multi-flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• nmtraveller
    Participant

Hello,
    I want to book a multi-flight itinerary. Unfortunately I cannot afford a return on WTP so wanted to book one way in WT and return in WTP.
    Can this be done on the BA website?
    – I appreciate this might be doable on the phone but I still have that BMI Diamond 10% discount for online purchases.
    – Buying two one-way tickets would end up much more expensive.
    – If I book both flights in economy, what is the likelihood of being able to upgrade afterwards?

Thanks for your help.

NTarrant
    Participant

On round trip tickets, yes you can, select economy and then you will also get the prices for economy, WTP and Club.

ontherunhome
    Participant

Dear NM Traveller

I do this regularly, when I travel to US. When booking, WTP has a higher tax charge out of the UK, so book WT out of the UK, and WTP back. Also be aware sometimes club fares are very good or even less than WTP.

Recently booked from Manchester via LHR to IAD, it was £200 cheaper than direct from LHR, and included 2 extra flights, so look at ex Manchester fares in WTP, maybe a surprise.

Best wishes

onajetplane
    Participant

onthehomerun +1

nmtraveller – similar to onthehomerun, you often now see ex Belfast City flights to the states cheaper than direct from the US and you will still get your 10% off.

nmtraveller
    Participant

the problem is my itinerary is open-jaw: First LHR>MIA then EZE>LHR.

On the website, unlike for round trip tickets, it looks like I can only select one class of travel for the whole trip. But maybe will I be offered the possibility to upgrade with cash after booking? Any way to find out?

Every time I tried to upgrade with cash after booking, the website returns the same answer: “we are sorry – upgrade with cash is not possible with this booking”.

christopheL
    Participant

If using avios is an option for you then I suggest you to check if there are award seats available in WT+ for your chosen EZE/LHR flight. If yes, then just buy a WT return flight and upgrade your inbound flight using avios.

NTarrant
    Participant

I think you will have to bite the bullet and phone BA. If you are doing a round trip will mostly offer upgrades to the next class but on multi it’s a bit different.

Recently I tried to upgrade two middle sectors or a four sector trip but it wouldn’t let me, but it would let me upgrade the lot!

icenspice
    Participant

If all else fails, it does no harm asking at check-in. Obviously, depending on how busy the flight is, it is not guaranteed. But if the answer is yes you may be pleasantly surprised by the price quoted. I have no idea but open-jaw tickets may be strictly non-upgradeable.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Talk to an agent? I do these types of bookings all the time (2 yesterday). BA will price that as an open jaw with different classes of travel – may even get the leg between MIA & EZE included as well for little extra. So either talk to BA directly – or an agent (who knows what they are doing).

nmtraveller
    Participant

Thanks all for the advise. I’ll ask a travel agent though my experience of both the guys in the high street and my Amex travel agent through work has never been convincing… maybe i didn’t ask the right persons.

Otherwise i guess i’ll try my luck after booking.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

You’re always welcome to get in touch. Can put cc details on here if you want (hopefully I can delete after with new forum?).

nmtraveller
    Participant

Sure i’d be interested though I don’t know how to swap contact details on this forum…

Also, does anybody know if the 24h cooling period on BA website also applies to open0jaws? (I don’t see any reason why not but just checking)

Thanks

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nmtraveller.
    Just Google Tim Fitzgerald TC.

Otherwise try this link.

http://www.tctravelmanagement.co.uk/tim.fitzgerald

I know Tim personally and though we have not done business together (because of where I live) I know many posters here have done so.

Hope this is allowed?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

PS. Tim. Seems we can no longer edit or delete a post!

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi LP

Thank you – was just about to post and saw what you had put. But that is essentially it – and good to know one can’t edit or delete posts as once a post like this is acknowledged nice to be able to remove.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls