Comair and SAA planes grounded by Aviation Authority

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Johnnyg
    Participant

More worrying news for SAA and Comair as aircraft grounded due to technical issues.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-10-22-comair-and-saa-planes-grounded-heres-how-to-check-on-affected-flights/

cwoodward
    Participant

It seems that no aircraft are ‘grounded’

Perhaps we should try to have some accuracy in postings as while this forum is not a resource of record it is well regarded and many accept posting here as reliable.

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/civil-aviation-authority-says-it-didnt-ground-saa-and-comair-but-they-must-inspect-all-aircraft-2019-10

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Semantics, but a number of flights (12 I think) were cancelled today as the aircraft were grounded for inspections, albeit temporarily. The grounding was not mandated by the SACAA. but by voluntary action of the airlines involved.

The fact remains that the aircraft were grounded. The title of this thread is wrong and perhaps that needs to be corrected.

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=973529][/postquote]

Alternatively perhaps we should just avoid being pedantic. According to Comair’s own website “Yesterday evening, the South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA) issued a notice related to irregular findings picked up during a recent audit of one of our maintenance and technical service providers, South African Airways Technical (SAAT). Affected aircraft may not be flown until the necessary corrective action has been carried out”.

This is known in the industry as a ‘self-grounding’.

I am not sure what other interpretation you would put on “affected aircraft cannot be flown” other than that they are grounded. And why would 30% of Comair flights today have been cancelled if no planes were grounded?

http://www.comair.co.za/media-room/expected-disruption-on-comairs-network-today

capetonianm
    Participant

I am reporting my own posting above in order to bring it to the attention of a moderator so that the topic title, which is inaccurate,can be modified.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

SimonS1 posted:
    ‘Alternatively perhaps we should just avoid being pedantic’.
    I had absolutely no intention of being pedantic and at the time of posting my contribution was in no way pedantic.
    However by the time you got around to posting matters had moved on considerably with much more information being available and my post became largely redundant – but accurate at the time that it was posted.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls