Collecting Tier Points if there is a Strike

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

My apologies in advance if this topic has been dealt with previously, but I have a question regarding tier points. I have been making a concious effort to gain lifetime Gold with BA (more for the associated benefits with AA and CX). As such, I have a number of trips on BA this August, September and further in the year. I am wondering do I have any chance to fight for tier points for a flight that is cancelled if I am put on another airline (non one world). I realise BALPA haven’t indicated any dates yet, but I am at risk of nearly 1500 TP’s if my flights are cancelled and I end up on a non one world carrier. Thanks in advance.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=951399]My apologies in advance if this topic has been dealt with previously, but I have a question regarding tier points. I have been making a concious effort to gain lifetime Gold with BA (more for the associated benefits with AA and CX). As such, I have a number of trips on BA this August, September and further in the year. I am wondering do I have any chance to fight for tier points for a flight that is cancelled if I am put on another airline (non one world). I realise BALPA haven’t indicated any dates yet, but I am at risk of nearly 1500 TP’s if my flights are cancelled and I end up on a non one world carrier. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

The straight answer is NO. You need to fly to get them.If you are rerouted on another airline, you can claim miles and points of that airline’s FFP. The best you can have in this case is leniency from BAEC to renew your status if you are short of points because of that rerouting.

1 user thanked author for this post.

christ
    Participant

My understanding was that historically for strikes, BA have credited the original tier points (there is a thread on flyertalk).

2 users thanked author for this post.

Irons80
    Participant

I don’t think that’s correct – I am pretty sure that you can retrospectively claim TPs and flights that you were meant to take but you didn’t (e.g. because of delays, cancellations, etc)
    Last year, due to a storm in NYC, I was switched from a JFK-YUL-LHR flight to a direct JFK-LHR flight and was able to claim all of the TPs from my original flight which I’d paid for. You just need to phone and ask.

2 users thanked author for this post.

mkcol74
    Participant

The straight answer is YES – you are entitled to your Avios & TPs if BA re-route you on another carrier, or even if they cannot accommodate you to your satisfaction.

You may have to claim for them but you will get them. I have done this several times now.

Edited to add: click here to be taken to the relevant bit of BA’s site that confirms this. You may need to be logged into EC to see it.

Edited again: And if you click here while logged in you should see the page where you make the claim.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

[quote quote=951439]The straight answer is YES – you are entitled to your Avios & TPs if BA re-route you on another carrier, or even if they cannot accommodate you to your satisfaction.
    You may have to claim for them but you will get them. I have done this several times now.
    Edited to add: click here to be taken to the relevant bit of BA’s site that confirms this. You may need to be logged into EC to see it.[/quote]

Indeed, very clear that yes I should receive them as per the BA web page. Thank you very much for the helpful link.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=951439]The straight answer is YES – you are entitled to your Avios & TPs if BA re-route you on another carrier, or even if they cannot accommodate you to your satisfaction.

Edited to add: click here to be taken to the relevant bit of BA’s site that confirms this. You may need to be logged into EC to see it.

Edited again: And if you click here while logged in you should see the page where you make the claim.[/quote]

Nice in theory. In practice, I failed more than once in the past with other alliances’ airlines.

Gold-2K
    Participant

I have successfully claimed when BA has transferred me to another carrier due to a cancellation and was painless getting the credits.

Of course if you can’t/don’t travel because of the strike, you won’t get TP/Avios credit.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=951442]

The straight answer is YES – you are entitled to your Avios & TPs if BA re-route you on another carrier, or even if they cannot accommodate you to your satisfaction.

Edited again: And if you click here while logged in you should see the page where you make the claim.

Nice in theory. In practice, I failed more than once in the past with other alliances’ airlines.[/quote]

But this is specific to BA & BA flights, so your response isn’t reflective of the situation here.

Just to add – I have also made retrospective claims for I think it was 7 flights out of a 16 sector ticket which I was unable to make due to wx in LAS which were operated by AA but I had my EC number in – the correct Avios & TPs were awarded within a week.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=951449]
    Of course if you can’t/don’t travel because of the strike, you won’t get TP/Avios credit.[/quote]

Maybe you need to whisper better sweet nothings to the EC then 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls