Cockpit visits in flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Martyn

Have you wondered why I could not find a reference newer than 2003 – think about it.

Just spoken to a pilot friend, who says very much still the case.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

This thread takes me back to the days when I used to do BHX-AMS-BHX every week to see my now wife. In those days (mid-80s) NLM used to fly the route with Fokker Fellowships (F100s).

It was a single class service (with great food and drink for an hour’s hop) and the flight deck door was always kept open. If you were in 1D (which became my preferred seat), the views were often great, especially on landing. It’s a pity KLM didn’t have a FFP in those days….

Nostalgia’s not what it used to be.

Simon

LuganoPirate
    Participant

What a coincidence Simon,
    I used to do LGW – Rotterdam to see my now ex wife. After we married I regularly did Rotterdam – LHR on the F28 ( I think you must mean that or the F27 as the F100 is a relatively new bird).

The doors were kept open and frequently the Captain would give a running commentary as we crossed the channel. Good old days indeed.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Lugano. I do indeed mean the F28 jet. NLM were a great airline. In those days you had a choice between BA, KLM, NLM and Birmingham European between BHX and AMS.

Simon

iflytoomuch
    Participant

I am lucky enough to have a wonderful wife who worked for 25+ years as cabin crew for an Asian airline … due to that we have many great friends who are captains and I reasonably often fly in the jump seat .. which is fun and I do feel very privileged. One flight a short while ago had extra crew up front who came back to sit in my seat in Business Class while I sat up front … There were a few confused looks on the faces of other pax.. couldn’t quite work out where i fitted into the ‘Asian’ airline system … it is a privilege and I treat it as such — not sure many of the airlines who consider themselves part of the 1st world and look down on my part of the world would allow this … its all abt risk profiling… something that much of the overall security net has not yet grasped…

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Lugano/Simon

The Fokker 100 model number is F28-Mk100 🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The 100 is really just a longer version of the F28 with improved avionics and I think a new wing design. You still see the 28’s in Africa and both planes are great to fly in I think, though the 100 is much improved and quieter. Shame they don’t make them anymore.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Hi Lugano

The 100 IS a F28 😉 Next time you fly one, ask the crew if you can look the manufacturers nameplate and you will see F28 Mk100 (I used to live next door to a guy who flew them.)

The Fokker 100 name was a marketing brand.

Sorry, I should acknowledge that your comments about the changes between the F28-4000 and the F100 are correct.

skywards
    Participant

I happen to watch airline videos on Youtube as well…i know Dom a Swiss airlines F.A. he has an agreement with Swiss air to do cockpit videos as long as the captain is ok with it..he must set his camera up as it never moves, i have also seen a German pilots videos where he has videos of a Air India B747.400 below his plane and another video of a Air Berlin A330 above his plane, a few years ago i was on a Etihad flight from BKK to AUH in Peal class (business) and i noticed a couple come from the economy section just after take off and go into the cockpit…i knew they went into the cockpit as on that route Etihad don’t have a Diamond class (First) when they came back into view the female F.A. let them sit in two spare business class seats for the rest of the flight.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls