Close to 200,000 tourists enter HK yesterday alone

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

With all Covis restrictions finally swept away and borders fully open Hong Kong is well and truly back in business.
    I have at times been, over the past 2 years strident in defending Hong Kong from the doomsday merchants and China haters but we were very short of friends and believers and I felt it a duty as a long time resident to try to articulate the truth (as apposed to the very negative spin of some particularly British media) of the situation and progress being made towards opening the borders and that very little had changed here since we became a colony of China rather than one of the UK. We still operate on British common law have many foreign judges and lawyers. Still the Hong Kong police force Our own strong currency and still a very strong and robust border with China.
    All mainland residents need a visa to come to HK as a visitor and the numbers issued are strongly regulated, this as apposed to say British visitors who are free to come and go with no restriction other than a six month maximum stay as a tourist. (other countries only get 3 months as a tourist) Of course China has a presents here as did the Britain but they are not a visible presence and to a visitor or a resident we are never aware of them day to day – as when the British owned Hong Kong.
    Once you accept that HK is now a largely self governing Chinese colony rather than a largely self governing British one it becomes simple to understand who we are and that little has changed.
    Lastly if my sometimes strident posts over the past 3 years offended I sincerely apologise.

Please come back, we need you in order to finally after a three year struggle get back to being the best and most popular business and tourist destination in Asia……we are already well on the way but much more is needed.

2 users thanked author for this post.

LaWhore
    Participant

Post deleted by Administrator

cwoodward
    Participant

LaWhore This forum is not a political soap box or a place to air your dislike of China.
    Although I make no comment re your political views clearly they are not appropriate for this forum which about business travel and events and developments connected with that.

3 users thanked author for this post.

LaWhore
    Participant

Post deleted by Administrator.

Three strikes and you are out.

cwoodward
    Participant

Nothing oppressive here old chap just a few insignificant passing annoyances.
    Unless you have something to say relating to business perhaps you could please take your hate elsewhere.

I notice that the large American airlines are returning later in the month and almost all of the European carriers are increasing frequency. Qantas is back but unfortunately using its old A330s.
    Hong Kong business is recovering fast, new hotels are being built and shuttered shops being re let already.
    The huge new stadium complex at Kai Tak is 75% finished and the mega sized new shopping and office centre is well on the way at the airport.
    Hong Kong recovers fast

1 user thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

I fully accept that this is a business travel forum and long may we all benefit from the valuable advice and experiences of travelling colleagues.

However, business travel does not exist in a vacuum and we cannot ignore the wider environment within which it operates. That includes human rights in the locations that we visit.

While I would in no way condone the language that La Whore has employed in this discussion, nor can I accept a total sanitising of reality which is the counter-narrative presented here. The reality, undoubtedly, lies somewhere in between and as travellers it is our responsibility to understand this.

2 users thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

It’s my view that business travel and politics do mix, especially when looking at risk analysis from a corporate perspective, insurance cover etc. In particular where it has changed. Some travelers maybe politically active as a private citizen outside of a country and can suddenly find themselves persona non grata or potentially face sanctions when they arrive at said country. I myself experienced this after 15+ years of relaxed entry from HK to the mainland, being questioned several times in 2019 on why I was in and out so much, why do I have Vietnam residency as well as PRC, had my phone looked at ( I started to carry only a vanilla phone there from around 2017) The national security law where a foreign national can be arrested for actions, comments made over seas, or as has been seen, banned from entry, does impact travel and why many companies have advised employees to be mindful of this.

As others have said the reality is somewhere in the middle from LaWhores “we are all doomed” to Cwoodwards “nothing to see here guv” The changes in HK have not affected my business travel plans in HK nor my actual investments there. they have however made me to be careful what and who I say things to of a political nature about the territory. Something I have always done on the mainland since 2013

As for HK, it’s still a fantastic place to visit, I love it there and look forward to arriving there again on Friday and recommend anyone with sufficiently deep pockets to go!

cwoodward
    Participant

TominScotland I understand that you often don’t agree with my views
    However I actually live here and my post sought to outline exactly what is the day to day situation here as it pertains to business and living. My post is in no way sanitised and is an honest report of life in HK as it is now. i.e. the reality. Seemingly this does not fit with your preconceived ideas gathered perhaps from the biased reporting by much of the British media.

I am not political at all (unless they try to ban fox hunting) but I am British and because of that I would rather that the colony was still British. The fact that it is not is because the Thatcher government thought it too difficult after 1997 thus it is now a Chinese colony
    Do come to Hong Kong and see for your self I would be delighted to meet you and discuss our differing views of Hong Kong. China is another subject of course and one in which I have little or no political interest beyond running a factory there. Cathay will be flying from London up to 3 times a day next month.

cwoodward
    Participant

stevescoots understands well business in HK and China and his post paints an accurate and informed view of HK and China. I don’t agree that my post contained a sanitised view of life here – I have absolutely no reason to do so.
    While I would rather HK was still a British colony it is now a Chinese one (whatever one chooses to call it) and as regards every day life and living nothing has changed.
    Of course one is aware that China may change direction re HK (as did the British government) and of course it is prudent to take precautions. We now have a thriving businesses in UK AU and NZ plus customers around the world. We don’t keep our personal savings in HK and we have properties in other places. Actually there is ‘nothing to see here gov’ as regards day to day business and life in Hong Kong and I would be very reluctant to leave. But come and form your own views……as you will find it difficult to find an unbiased view in the mass media.

Antimuzzle
    Participant

Personally I find it a contravention of human rights to be forced to wear a muzzle under martial law which imposes a GBP 500 fine if I choose not to wear one. Until the Hong Kong removes this ridiculous backward law I will not be going back to HK – despite being a HK resident etc. However glad CX First is back !

cwoodward
    Participant

Are you by chance referring to the mask worn by many sensible people in many countries and at the moment* a requirement in Hong Kong?

I am led to believe that the mandatory wearing of masks in HK will be dropped within the next 2 weeks.

I hope that HK can welcome you back soon.

cwoodward
    Participant

The (newish) High Speed train from HK to China is again operating.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls