Claiming reward flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

AB123456
    Participant

I was looking to book a One way reward flight either with BA or Emirates from London to Dubai and when I went through the process I can’t understand the difference in surcharges and taxes whilst they both originate from the UK and hence the pricing of tax should be the same.

So with Emirates the cost was 30,000 Skywards miles and GBP78 in tax for the flight. With British Airways it was a similar amount of miles and AED 1,250 in taxes which is about GBP208 in taxes.

Why is this not the same? Any ideas?

capetonianm
    Participant

I think you will find that EK include the fuel surcharge in the base fare whereas BA add it on as a YQ charge. Devious in the extreme.

Binman62
    Participant

AB123456

It is not taxes.Fuel surcharges are not taxes they are fees levied by airlines and kept by airlines.

It is BA profitering by charging a fuel surcharge that they alone keep on redemption booking. EK clearly have taken a different tac and do not charge this userous and outrageous extra fee which BA and others do.

BA fuel surcharge is often more than double the rate of UK APD and airport service fees charges combined and nore worryingly BA actively describe the fuel levy as a tax and it is for this reason that the idea of high taxes ex the UK has been created.

UK APD is not significantly higher than the USA, Australia or other countries where visas on arrival are required.

The Brazillian government have recently banned airlines from charging a fuel levy on redemption bookings which originate in that country. Consequently it is cheaper to book one way from LHR and one way back when flying to Brazil.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls