Claiming for rail delays

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

excessbaggage
    Participant

With only just over two months of the year gone, I’ve just sent off my 8th claim for delays on the Southern rail network this year, all of which have been approved so far.

Does anyone else claim for rail delays? It’s only a couple of quid each time, but it’s now so quick to make the claim online that it seems silly not to, and I don’t see why Southern should get away with delivering a shoddy service.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

My girlfriend always does (though on maternity at the moment) for the Brighton to Croydon journey. To be fair to Southern a lot of the time delays aren’t there fault, rather Network Rail or other actions such as suicides which are sadly quite common. Railway needs upgrading but to do so would probably take a line closure of several months to get it where it needs to be and also 4 tracked where it is 2 – but no one will accept that. Until that happens nothing will change.

Overall I think they are quite good. The only thing that needs to change is getting rid of the Gatwick Express trains that run on the Brighton mainline and get proper new stock.

NTarrant
    Participant

As a fairly regular Southern user I also claim when delayed. Travelling home from LGW if delayed I always claim, because everyone west of Barnham gets a raw deal. The train does not split at Horsham as it should and then one has to endure all stations to Barnham and then await another train to go west. I could accept a delay if the train continued to run as booked.

Would agree with Tim about Gatwick Express, whoever forced Southern to have these 442’s are mad. They were good trains on the Portsmouth and Southampton lines. Actually they would be better used on the Brighton express services that don’t stop at Gatwick.

SimonS1
    Participant

Yes, routinely around 7/8 claims a month on the First Capital route from Sussex into City Thameslink.

Shearer
    Participant

I never claim for Rail Delays, I really should.

JKL
    Participant

I’ve recently started making a point of claiming, after one too many delays. The process seems easy enough, although I’m still waiting for a promised eVoucher to actually show up in my Southern Rail account… The DelayRepay app (iPhone, Android, 69p) seems to be pretty good too – store your details then just snap a photo of your ticket and submit the claim – perhaps before you’ve even got off the train 😉

Must admit I quite like the Gatwick Express trains (when they’re not broken down…) They’re the only ones I find it easy to sleep on.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I claimed once. Ended up with some sort of “Rail Credit Note”. Utterly useless for booking in advance online. Waste of a stamp even writing in.

SimonS1
    Participant

It’s all done online. There is no need to write in.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls