CIV scoring system

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

• Anonymous

Potakas
    Participant

Hi all,
    I read that BA has a scoring system for its passengers, according to what i read, this system is called CIV (Customer Individual Value), the aim of the CIV is for crews to be able to differentiate between who spends what on BA. A Premier passenger will always have a score of 100 (maximum), whilst Gold card holders can expect a minimum of 39.

Does anyone know the equation that calculates that score or more info?

VintageKrug
    Participant

This is quite advanced stuff. More degree-level BAEC knowledge rather than the normal A-level. Here’s what I know:

This system was introduced in 2007, and is similar to that deployed by other oneworld airlines.

It tracks your “commercial” value, such as spend, purely on BA metal, rather than oneworld.

Your CIV score changes every 30 days based on your revenue spend with BA over the past 12 months. BAsed on time of spend, unlike your BAEC status, whcih is based on when you actually travel.

My understanding is that Golds can be as low as 36, but that might be EuroGold, with normal Gold being 39 as you say. But I think 36 is base level Gold.

Though this is not scientific, and is purely based on my personal spend, I reckon it’s about 1 point for every £500 spent. There does seem to be an additional component to the formula, possibly giving a greater points “bonus” for the type of ticket purchased (e.g. fully flex/Club vs. First etc.). Certain corporate BA customers also appear to earn certain additional CIV points to its BAEC cardholders, but not certain on that.

Note that BA people can be quite defensive in revealing this score because of data protection issues, so if you have an unrequited urge to know how you stack up, do be aware of this to avoid being offended if the information is refused.

Frankly I can’t think of anything less private than my BA CIV score, especially considering some of the more flagrant data protection issues which afflict BA.

BABenji
    Participant

Would JSA spend be included?

Potakas
    Participant

Thanks VK for this and the K-UP reply you posted.

Upandaway, as far as i know the CIV was introduced on 2007.

VintageKrug
    Participant

While the CIV score may indeed have been in existence prior to 2007, it was apparently introduced to the Passenger Information Lists on 21st March 2007.

To me, it seemed to be in beta test mode judging by the way mine lurched around for the first few months, which does indeed suggest that the CIV on the PIL was generated using a new system, rather than one which had been running for a few years already.

Should contributors have any information to further this debate, I am certain everyone would be thrilled to have them contribute their knowledge on this topic to this thread, rather than criticising individuals in what is quite clearly an uprovoked attack.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

VK: In the China world we tend to admire and respect people (usually matured persons) with knowledge and wisdom and we tend not to challenge them but by contrast it is different in the West.

Expect more missles coming your way in the future!!!!!!!!!!!

I have learned to love this forum as there is so much travel related information from members which helps to enrich the brain of a very well travelled person like me.

Confucius once said “Every body is my teacher” and I am eager to absorbing more valuable info from the various contributors world-wide..

Binman62
    Participant

up an away…………. whatever the truth your last post refering to “you lot” suggest that you are not someone who should or indeed could be taken seriously.
    The fact that you were working on this 5 years in advance of its use is irrelevent. Like VK I can confirm that CIV did not become BA policy until the date he has provided.

EdTraveller
    Participant

Dear UpandAway, I am sure that you are a great person but you seem quite dismissive and defensive in your comments !

Potakas
    Participant

Honestly, who cares about the date that this thing introduced? Do you have anything else to say about CIV? Or your point was to say that someone is wrong?

The point here was to discuss about CIV instead of spending my time wondering what is wrong with people like you.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Ooh La La!

What a tyrant and glad you are not my BOSS!

You have the LAST WORD!

I shall hang myself in such a case.

There is a vacancy in the Chinese Communist Party for an adviser!!!

From the BEST of the BAD Lot!

Lastly I hope I have spelled/spelt correctly.

batraveller2
    Participant

UpandAway – after your comments I asked the BA crew CSD this morning and I was advised that VK was right.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Hi, very interesting topic and I had no idea such a score existed.

Could I ask what relevance it has on the PIL? Given service in the air should be the same for any passenger within the same cabin, why does it need to be there? What possible use does it have at 40,000 feet apart from being used as some kind of differentiator?

I can understand why BA would want this in the ground and it makes perfect commercial sense – why not score your passengers based upon spend and then target them accordingly, but not in the air when each first or CW passenger should receive the same service regardless. Or is the PIL used for another purpose?

Biggless
    Participant

For godsake get a life ! I don’t think the postings from UpandAway are rude, brief and to the point maybe….. and what’s wrong with “you lot”. As this is a public forum, any one can post anything. Anything I read in the press, on the web or see on TV I take with a pinch of salt – otherwise you are a fool !

craigwatson
    Participant

well i would add one other as well Biggless

I would take anything heard from Bassa/Unite with a “pinch of salt” as well

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls