Citizens returning to the US from the UK

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• nevereconomy
    Participant

Does anyone have experience – I will have to make a trip back at some stage. Currently only certain airports permitted and 14 day quarantine – no real issue there. What is the arrival customs/immigration/health procedure currently and what rules, if any, about transportation from airport to destination? I appreciate any information.

J_Pathmore
    Participant

Depends, what visa do you have? Currently only US citizen, greencard holders, F1/M1, and a few other niche categories allowed. Also, I don’t believe the 14 day quarantine is mandatory anymore.

If your visa allows you to enter then the process is easy. Know a number of people on F1 visas enter recently with no questions asked.

christ
    Participant

I believe that from a number of countries, it is ok to fly to US – i.e Hong Kong. Cathay website has the list.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I am a US citizen – no problem getting in, but am interested to know what to expect ..sounds like not much – which is rather what I expected. They haven’t exactly taken the whole thing too seriously ! Thanks for feedback.

flydrive
    Participant

I flew in June from LHR to the US. The only difference was that you needed to complete a form on arrival with your contact details, and then after immigration we were directed to a separate room (this was in Detroit) where CDC staff checked our temperature, confirmed we had no COVID symptoms and collected our forms. No further checks took place and I was out before my luggage was on the carousel. You are recommended to quarantine but there are no means of checking this in most states, although I understand the Northeast now has become more vigilant as rates increase elsewhere. Flights to/from the US were empty so actually the trip was much more pleasant than usual, although the wearing of a mask is challenging for so many hours on board. Otherwise, it is fine.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Many thanks flydrive – that info is very useful though rather what I expected from talking to friends in the US. The hours wearing a mask is my biggest issue but obviously you survived. I may do F to IAD under the circumstances to have more space and if I have the window I can face it and maybe slip off my mask for a few minutes breather if no-one watching! According to all the airlines, their HEPA filters can take care of it….

flydrive
    Participant

They are quite relaxed about masks I found on US airlines compared to European ones, especially when the lights go down. Also you are allowed to go mask less when eating or drinking so you can simply keep some snacks or drinks on your tray at all times.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls