Choppy transatlantic flight in December

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

jtown174
    Participant

I travelled with UA from IAD to MUC in the second week of December and apart from two rather short windows (around 40 minutes each) the cabin service was suspended due to heavy turbulence (clear air turbulence, I think – I didn’t have a window seat).

I am aware that “heavy” is a subjective term, especially when it comes to people like me who are not the best of flyers 😉 So perhaps, most of you wouldn’t even remember such a flight.

1.) Are there months when Atlantic crossings tend to be choppier – apart from more obvious reasons like storms?
    2.) Is it common that pilots don’t adapt the flying altitude (perhaps even the route?) if long-term turbulences (2hrs +) occur?

VintageKrug
    Participant

UA is notorious for popping on the fasten Seat Belt sign at the slightest hint of a chop.

Though it sounds like your turbulence was more significant, and probably warranted suspension of cabin service, many European Airlines will be reluctant to put the Fasten Belt sign on until the last sensible minute and carry on offering cabin service (sans hot drinks) even after that, when conditions prudently allow.

On my last UA service in the summer I was amazed how frequently the sign was illuminated, and frequently left on well after we had returned to normal cruise.

watersz
    Participant

The trans atlantic routes are actualy quite narrow and congested with everone wanting if possible to fly in the jet stream. when applicable .

changing altitude is not always possible , In similar circumstances the pilot told us he has planes above and below aswell as to each side so we would have to grin and bear it for a while.

dutchyankee
    Participant

I think you will also find that due to the propensity for Americans to sue for anything and everything, US airlines tend to be overly cautious in this area (both due to crew and passengers). Don’t forget the lawsuit recently won agaist McDonalds by a driver who spilled his McD coffee in his lap while driving, burned his nether regions and sued McD that the coffee was too hot, and HE WON!!! As they say, Only in America, and hence we all have to suffer.

jtown174
    Participant

Thanks for all your replies!

I admittedly had no idea that US airlines tend to be more cautious when it comes to suspension of cabin service due to turbulence. I usually travel with LH or Austrian on intercontinental flights, also none of those past flights were really bumpy.

I actually wasn’t concerned that I couldn’t get a drink during the turbulences. I was just hoping that the pilot would comment on the situation, at least after the first hour or so (he didn’t say a thing).

I was listening in on the conversations with the tower (which were available on one of the radio channels) and apparently the tower person asked the pilot if he wanted to change altitude, but the pilot replied with something like “no, it’s choppy/bumpy, but ok”.

I know, I sound like a douche 😉 I was just a bit freaked out by this flight. I used to be a frequent flyer (in Europe) a couple of years ago, but even then I wasn’t really comfortable.
    However, I am working on my braveness 😉

dutchyankee
    Participant

Jtown, many people are uncomfortable in turbulence, and severe turbulence can scare the most frequent of flyers! There are many reasons why the Pilot could/would have chosen to stay within the turbulent air, and unfortunately, one of them could be exactly the fact that this would allow his crew to relax, sit, and stop service. A convenient excuse, but during these days of employee discontent, it isn’t surprising.

watersz
    Participant

But anywaty JT,
    on a lighter note 99% confirm there are no athiest’s on a plane going thru heavy turbulance we need your help to make it 100

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls