Choices choices

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• Anonymous

lloydah
    Participant

Any help here appreciated –
    I have a choice between LHR/ZRH/BOS on Swiss A330 in F or LHR/FRA/BOS on LH 744 in F. Considering the costs are similar and the flight times are also about the same (both daytime) what would you recommend as the best bet – taking into consideration the whole shibang of lounge access, baggage, etc.
    Used Fra once but never Zurich.
    Thanks L.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

How much are the flights?

lloydah
    Participant

I’m returning straight to LHR and the budget is less than £3500 but this one isn’t down to me financially. On the web it’s about £3250. Not sure if they are getting a deal from *A

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

lloydah

Difficult choice 🙂

If you are connecting from LHR, then you’d have to be prepared to exit the terminal and go to the F terminal at FRA, to enjoy the best experience, otherwise there isn’t so much clear blue water between LH F and LX F, they are both very good and streets ahead of BA F.

ZRH is an easier airport to transit, although the dedicated security and passport in the F terminal are great.

I prefer the 333 to the 744, but in reality both in flight experiences are going to be great.

If it were me, I’d choose Swiss as (a) I like ZRH, (b) lounges are less important than the in-flight experience and (c) I find Swiss F service to be excellent and slightly more to my liking in the way it is delivered.

But either will be an excellent experience.

lloydah
    Participant

Thanks FDoS,

That makes good sense. I think I’d go for FRA if it was the 747-8 but it’s not, so down to others’ experiences. I like the idea of ZRH being easier to transit. Thank you again for the advice.
    L

SergeantMajor
    Participant

…BA can get you there and back in January/February for £3207. Direct.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/low-price-finder/public/en_gb

If you haven’t done it before, the F terminal at FRA is worth a look, make sure you leave time for a bath and some rubber duck action, but personally I prefer the Swiss F seat. So it is indeed a difficult choice.

Could you outbound on Lufty, with an overnight connection to give plenty of lounging time, and back on Swiss to take advantage of the better connection home?

sparkyflier
    Participant

Both will be good inflight, but the LH F product on the 744 is a seat + bed, which are separate! So you can sit down, relax, eat & watch movies etc, and then move to the bed next to it. This is all on the upper deck.

LX cabin crew however are I hear slightly warmer and transiting in ZRH surely easier.

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/uk/info_and_services/on_board?nodeid=3276594&l=en&cid=1000243

lloydah
    Participant

Again thanks for the advice. I was given the choice within budget and wanted to try one of these. Usually I’m tied to BA. The pics on airliners.net make both products look superb. It’s going to come down to ease of transit ……..and flip of a coin there are so many pluses on each side.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“…BA can get you there and back in January/February for £3207. Direct.”

Not with a product that is as good as Lufthansa or Swiss.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

sparkyflyer – 19/12/2013 14:42 GMT

Your point about the separate bed on LH is a good one, the reason I didn’t mention it was that the main leg is FRA-BOS, only about 7h30, so probably not a full sleep.

On a SFO/LAX, it might swing it for me.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

…yawn.

Hope you’ve had a crack of BA’s Christmas Competition:

http://www.ba.com/christmas

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“…yawn. “

At least the OP will experience a proper F cabin, with proper F&B, including caviar.

Senator
    Participant

I sampled the LH and LX experience this past summer. I was on the new B748-i and not the B744. Please note that the B744 has a very unique product with the separate bed and chair on the upper deck. Latest news is that the entire LH B744 fleet will be retrofitted to 2-class only by end of S15. So a unique opportunity to sample a one-of-a-kind product.

My recommendation if you enjoy travelling is to travel outbound with LH via FRA with ample time for a transfer (3 hrs) to test Europe’s best ground experience at the First Class Terminal in Frankfurt.

I would return using LX via ZRH.

My verdict is: LH wins hands down on the ground and LX hands down in the air. As the Star JV allows you to mix carries, why not sample both?

I am really sorry, but when travelling in First BA does have ways to go to reach the overall experience of LX and LH.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

…yawn. The predictability is getting rather tedious.

BA’s new F is doing very well with people who actually fly it, with passenger numbers continuing to grow, building profitability, and the cabin is winning respected awards for its F wine offering:

http://www.bibendum-wine.co.uk/content/news/view/doc/british-airways-wins-best-international-first-class-wines-award

As FormerlyDoS has apparently only flown BA F once in the past decade, it’s extraordinary that he’s such an expert on the product.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-ru/information/travel-classes/first/first

I’ve flown it rather more than you have.

But no point in engaging you further as you clearly have an axe to grind, and predictable retorts you come up with are rather dull for everyone else to read……

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls