China Southern to put A380 on London-Guangzhou

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

Just in this evening, CZ will put the A380 and Boeing 787 onto its “Canton Route” of Sydney-Guangzhou-London.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/china-southern-to-run-airbus-a380-boeing-787-on-sydney-london-route

CZ didn’t get into details but I’m guessing it’ll be 787 SYD-CAN and A380 CAN-LHR. A good strategy, use the 787 to feed long thin routes into the hub and then the A380 for the flagship routes which comprise many transit passengers.

However, unless CZ puts first class in their 787 (which no airlines have done yet, far as I know) that means you won’t be able to book first class all the way through on the “Canton Route”.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I would have thought CDG would come before LHR for CZ’s first A380 route to Europe.

Many more Chinese tourists visit Schengen zone countries then the UK. And, like the Japanese tourist groups in previous decades, they love Paris because of all the opportunities to shop for designer goods.

No wonder so many luxury Asian hotel chains have opened properties in Paris recently.

Anyway, a year is a long time in the airline business so who knows what will happen ?

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

I’d agree, CZ could probably justify CDG, LHR and LAX (the later announced overnight, according to BT) as their three ex-CAN A380 routes.

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

CZ has been a bit back-and-forth on this but they now say it’s planned, they are just looking at loads to see if/when it can be warranted, and it will run all the way through from Sydney to London.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/china-southern-considers-airbus-a380-for-sydney-london

BA319131
    Participant

I think this got lost in translation or there has been a chance since, CZ plan to use the 787 to LHR, and other cities of course, with the A380 running the CAN-SYD sectors.

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

CZ definitely plans to use the 787 SYD-CAN-LHR, but that doesn’t mean they can’t also run an A380. The ABT article was very clear that “a senior China Southern executive confirmed.. that if introduced onto flights from Australia, the A380 would continue through to London.”

And running an A380 SYD-CAN but not CAN-LHR would surely make it hard to manage load, you’d have 500 pax coming off the A380 from Sydney but then only a 250-seat 787 to carry them on to London?

LeTigre
    Participant

They are claiming that the Sydney market can sustain 2x A330 and 1x A380 every day. Mad!

Oh well, if the Chinese Government has deep pockets, who can complain?

Oh yeah, and as the current A332s to Lhr are fully flat J, the 787s definitely are.

BA319131
    Participant

Steve, you surely don’t think all those passengers are just going to LHR?!

The A380 will carry traffic to CAN who will split off to other routes operated by smaller aircraft, such as, AMS, CDG.LHR, perhaps outher cities in China and beyond by connection in CAN.

Whilst I’d love to see a CZ in LHR, letfs be real, this is some years off yet.

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

BA319131, no I don’t, and I’m sure many from China will be headed there, it just seems like the logistics or maths of making an A380 load from SYD-CAN squeeze into the 787’s manifest for CAN-LON is asking for trouble and passenger pain when it comes down to juggling the two sets of bookings.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Steve – Not everyone flying SYD-CAN will be continuing to LHR. I am sure there will be people connecting in CAN and then taking CZ or other Skyteam carriers from CAN to AMS/CDG.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Remember they are already established in CDG and AMS – They are a brand new carrier to the UK market so unlikely to swap the scheduled A330 for a A380 until they know they can justify it. They will wait and see what the loads are like first. Their advertising campaign to push this brand new product into the UK market has been non existant to say the least so they will have their work cut out for them. Lack of presence was just one of the downfalls of Hong Kong Airlines and China Airlines. Both new services to the UK that didnt last long.

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

LondonCity – you’re right, I was not thinking of destinations other than LHR!

LeTigre
    Participant

http://www.airtransportnews.aero/article.pl?mcateg=&id=38473

Codeshare with BA imminent, I understand Qantas is also likely.

Could this mean BA services to Guangzhou?

Also, can everyone bear in mind that as China Southern are well known in China, this makes the route work. So all those travel groups can be very profitable, we at VS get like 70/80 in groups per Shanghai flight. So if you remember, they already stated that only 30 percent of passengers are not Chinese!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

CAN is a Skyteam stronghold. Previous non-Skyteam members who served CAN from Europe, namely AY and LH, both failed. Would BA succeed, bearing in mind it operates so frequently to nearby HKG ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls