China Southern LHR- Soon Daily

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

LeTigre
    Participant

http://www.ausbt.com.au/china-southern-s-sydney-london-canton-route-daily-from-october

Really exciting news, with the possibility of more competition, new connections and an improved kangaroo route now likely.

China Southern are also known for initiating price wars.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

New Improved kangaroo Route?????? Only kidding themselves, LeTiger. How can a twice a week operation to LHR with a 3+ hour connection in CAN be clasified as improvement???

Australia route is saturated with competition and agressive fares – It will be interested to see what their AVAILABLE fares are like – I am suspecting I know what will happen!

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

… sorry, my above facts were for the summer timetable. the Winter daily schedule is even more grim!!

LHR-CAN 1705-1305+1
    CAN-SYD 2105-0930+1

Thats a fair wait in CAN compared to the QF1 through SIN!!!!!

spudseamus
    Participant

New Improved kangaroo Route?????? Only kidding themselves, LeTiger. How can a twice a week operation to LHR with a 3+ hour connection in CAN be clasified as improvement???

Australia route is saturated with competition and agressive fares – It will be interested to see what their AVAILABLE fares are like – I am suspecting I know what will happen!

aggressive fares? maybe from lhr to mel but certainly not the other way around — up to $ 3000 difference in some instances in J

MarcusUK
    Participant

Interestingly. i was looking at their website as they are a Skyteam partner.

They have fares from Amsterdam to Sydney return in Business class, with the current Euro -£ rate, of £2,338 in October!

That’s a very good price, cutting at least £1,000 off the fares out of LHR.

It does cut out the largest Government departure tax of over £300 from the UK though, which i would rather give to chairy than keep paying to the UK Government.

Hence my long haul trips will be out of EU Airports in the future.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

AhMrBond – you mention just SYD but China Southern serves other Oz ports. I wonder what the connections are like to/from the other cities via CAN ?

The two large mainland Chinese airlines are really just starting out. Given the large population of China and the fact that many citizens will seek to travel overseas in the years to come then who knows how the networks of China Southern and Air China will develop.

I did read in The Times a couple of days ago that there are now 250,000 mainland Chinese tourist visitors now in our capital city attending the London Olympics. A good number of these will have arrived on their home carriers.

LeTigre
    Participant

I do feel a bit sorry for CZ who have to make do with 2nd rate slots, however, even if the connections now are not brilliant, there is significant point to point traffic in the Pearl River delta. With Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Macau all within reach there should be good local traffic.

Plus, CZ recently announced they would be doubling their Australian presence in the following few years so expect better and better connections. Besides, the kangaroo route is not so popular any more, it is the destinations in China that this route facilitates. To suggest this is a good kangaroo route is somewhat missing the point.

CZ recently indicated that they are looking at eventually making this an A380 route. I can see that working but not for about 2 years (of losses). They will need to upgrade to a 77W first and see how that goes. Their hard products are improving quickly so I can’t wait to see what the 77W will look like.

Other than that, I look forward to the prices.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

LondonCity – They also offer PER, MEL and BNE…. all of them are connection of over 8 hours so hardly attractive when you consider you can get to these places quickly and fairly cheaply with MH/EY/EK et al. You would not fly this unless remarkably cheaper or you are Chinese and want Chinese language spoken on board (which ,no doubt is ALL you will get)

AMcWhirter
    Participant

AhMrBond – In which case it seems CZ’s Oz flights are aimed at the Chinese tourist traffic to Australia rather than the kangaroo route at this moment in time.

But the Chinese aviation industry can only become larger and more multi-national in the coming months and years.

CZ has already begun to recruit foreign flight attendants (ie non-Chinese speaking) from India, Central Asia, Holland, France and Australia. In which case, it can only be a matter of time before UK nationals are signed up too.

http://english.cri.cn/6909/2012/06/07/3124s704508.htm

feijitong
    Participant

I actually love China Southern as well as Guangzhou as a hub and will definitely take this route to China over BA and others. THe issue still is the quality of English on CZ planes – I speak Chinese so this is not an issue.

LeTigre
    Participant

Regardless of your opinion about the airline, its hub and the timings, one undeniable fact is:

China Southern has already reduced average business/economy class prices from London to Australia by 10%.

Following the announcement of the daily services in October, it appears CZ’s pricing rapidly lowered and all other airlines were forced to make cuts.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/europe-australia-market-changed-forever-as-sixth-freedom-carriers-gain-scale-and-drop-prices-78646

LeTigre
    Participant

Check AUSBT, CZ just announced plans to use both the 787 and A380 on the Canton route, without giving details.This seems logical as the 787 could provide a good next step in capacity. However, an A380 would provide too much capacity and a price war would ensue. Woe to Qantas!

Interestingly, it also announced proudly that 30% of passengers on this route are from Europe or Australia. So now we know that the secret of this success is Chinese passengers!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Le Tigre – Agreed. As I noted above there is much tourist traffic between China and Australia.

You only need to look at SIA’s schedules between Australia and Singapore and between Singapore and China to see that SIA is also chasing this market. I guess it’s the same with CX too.

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

Just in this evening, CZ will put the A380 and Boeing 787 onto its “Canton Route” of Sydney-Guangzhou-London.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/china-southern-to-run-airbus-a380-boeing-787-on-sydney-london-route

CZ didn’t get into details but I’m guessing it’ll be 787 SYD-CAN and A380 CAN-LHR.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls