China Eastern Airlines A330-300 Economy

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

Hermes1964
    Participant

On those occasions when I’ve found myself making hypothetical lists of thinks I’ve no intention of doing, flying on a Chinese airline has featured prominently – up there with roller-skating around the M25 and becoming Archbishop of Canterbury. So it was with some sense of trepidation that I found myself at SHA for the two hour flight to Beijing.

After a prompt and somewhat cheerless check-in, the already murky sky suddenly darkened and the departure boards announced that all bets (well at least flights) were off and with no indication of when they might resume. As the heavens opened and flashed in equal measure I prepared to settle in for an indefinite stay in the spacious terminal.

Frequent announcements in English contained no information, however, boarding in fact commenced some 40 or so minutes after the scheduled departure time. Strangely other flights were showing no sign of activity so we appeared to be in luck. We were at a bus gate so I was prepared for Titanic scenes of scrummage. In fact it was all surprisingly civilised and we had the added bonus of a tour of the airport and runway thresholds thrown in as the A330-300 was parked on the international terminal apron.

A few faint smiles were offered during the boarding process from the smartly attired crew and I settled into a window seat near the back – a little cramped by an underseat box (though there was no IFE) and the narrowing of the fuselage. The seat was far from comfortable. If the padding was memory foam then previous occupants had large ears and a trunk. But at least I wouldn’t be in it for long (or so I thought). In the meantime the crew were attentive in settling us in, helping to stow bags, and offering pillows and blankets, though why on earth anyone needed the latter was beyond me.

Pushback followed some 30 minutes later by which time it was raining heavily, although the lightning thankfully appeared to have headed elsewhere. The cabin meanwhile had worked up a fair fug as the air conditioning was making little impact on the humid conditions. After a lengthy queue for takeoff – it seemed other departures were steaming ahead – we took what appeared to be a wrong turn and slowly trundled back to the apron, with no explanation offered as to what was happening. After ten minutes or so we were advised of a mechanical problem. (By this stage the roller skate option was beginning to look preferable and I started to imagine myself being measured up for a mitre.)

45 minutes later we were advised that mechanics had been in attendance and the problem had been resolved (No more detailed explanation offered, though perhaps sometimes it’s best not to know.) The seatbelt sign pinged back on and we finally left the tarmac some 3 1/4 hours late. We were off to Beijing!

After 15 minutes or so the crew got up from their seats to unlock the washrooms so that people could use them. Odd really given that the seatbelt sign was still on and the crew members then sat down again to watch passengers go past as we bounced about. Five minutes later we hit some more significant bumps and the sign was flashed on and an announcement made. It was subsequently clear throughout the flight that passenger compliance with instructions was entirely optional.

Service commenced with bows from the crew, and an apology from the InFlight Service Manager. Thereafter a trolley service was offered with a choice of pork and rice or beef noodle, a prawn and seaweed salad, bread roll, juice, melon, a packet enticingly labelled “Aviation Radish”, and a wet wipe (BA – please note -remember those?) I haven’t tried the radish yet as its on its way home to amuse the children. I was handed the pork (by a boy who looked all of twelve -a sure sign of my advancing years) and I have to say it was actually not bad. I left the prawn salad as probably not worth chancing.

A bar service followed with non-alcoholic beverages and hot tea and coffee. By now we weren’t just running over cobble stones, we were quad-biking over a ploughed field, warranting a recorded announcement from a man sounding rather agitated. But our trusty attendants were not to be deterred. After all, where are a few scalds between friends? And the tea was jolly good.

Finally we made up some time and landed at Beijing some 2 3/4 hours late, a little cranky and with a very numb backside. Baggage arrived after 30 or so minutes.

Given that weather resulted in half of the delay and the fact that technical problems can happen on any flight, there wasn’t really that much to complain about. The crew weren’t as humourless as some reports might suggest, though English was pretty limited. I had no expectations of lavish catering but the offering was surprisingly passable. All in all it did the jobs.

I don’t think I would seek out China Eastern for international travel – apart from anything else I don’t think my poor behind would take it, but on a short internal flight it was fine. It probably would have been quicker door to door on the train, and maybe next time I’d do that, as the bullet train is very pleasant. But at least I’ve knocked something off that list.

Now for the roller skates…

Wonderful review.

Thanks Hermes1964.

newbieflyer
    Participant

Great review Hermes.!

I think there is a preconceived notion about Chinese airlines. But having tried around 8-9 sectors on different Chinese airlines over the past 2 years (china Eastern/Southern, Air China and Shanghai Airlines – mix of domestic and short haul international) I must say, barring the English barrier, the rest of the service have always been way above acceptable. On time, good food, courteous CC. I will be trying China’s EasyJet – Spring Airlines in a months time. Shall try and post a report here. Yes I do agree regarding the lack of communication from the flight deck. I think the Chinese airline industry is still its nascent stages (compared to say, EU, US) and it should pick up very soon. Excited about the Chinese market and hoping it does well.

Happy Flying!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls