China Eastern aircraft crash near Wuzhou

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• GivingupBA
    Participant

LuganoPirate, very sadly there were injuries (some serious) in the A340 runway crash (in a thunderstorm) at Toronto in 2005, though happily no fatalities.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1208389]

It was nothing to do with the type of plane. From the official report by the Canadian authorities:

” …………. The unfavourable weather conditions, and the poor landing decisions made by the flight crew, were found to be major factors leading to the crash. The visibility was poor, the assigned runway was short (the airport’s shortest), the plane touched down nearly halfway through the runway and the thrust reversers were not on full power until 17 seconds after touchdown.”

2 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

[postquote quote=1208452]

From the many crash investigations shown in the discovery channel, except for the earlier designs; hardly any aircraft crash were from aircraft design; most of those were from human errors.

Boeing 737 Max fiasco may be attributed to design, but human factors of the designers and management need to be factored. I recall one investigation on B737 that was incorrect rudder movement due to frozen pin or something. Swiss air incident attributed to too much power drawn from wire could be another.

So pilot and ATC trainings are critical for airlines safety. I hope airlines and airports are not cutting cost on this account.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=1208385]In fact both Lufthansa and Swissair were the final airlines to abolish first class within Europe and replace it with business class.[/quote]

I remember this Alex, and i sent a letter of complaint to the Chairman of Swissair who phoned me personally (I was a Circle member at the time) to assure me their new business class would be almost like First. It never was! ;-(

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed. Up until a year or so the boss of Qatar Airways continued to maintain that his airline’s economy class was as good as rivals premium economy classes !

He no longer makes that claim after Emirates launched premium economy.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls