Chicago in about 5 hours

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

M.Moose
    Participant

Hi, I’m arriving international long-haul T5 @9am on a Sunday (end Sept) and leaving @5pm domestic T3. So effectively my guess is I have about 5 hours of actual “city time”.

First time in Chicago, but I have been to a number of major cities in the U.S. – Atlanta, Dallas, LA, SF, NY, Denver.

Appreciate recommendations and suggestions.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Be careful.
    The train to the city is excellent but remember, it takes 45 mins each way. Taking a cab can be worse because of the traffic on i94 – it’s taken me more than 1 hour from downtown to ORD at busy times.
    With such a short time, it’s worth going up the Hancock tower or the Willis, for the views

ExecPlatAA
    Participant

Whats there to do in Chicago? Id say, stay put and relax at the lounge or if you so choose – go to the Hilton at the airport for a few drinks etc. The Magnificent Mile (downtown) is nice, but not worth a special visit.

canucklad
    Participant

My tip, the museum’s on Lake Shore drive. The science and industry museum and / or the aquarium nearby would be my top recommendations. Or get yourself booked into that most Chicagoan of enterprises. An Al Capone gangster tour, especially if it includes a duckbus trip on the river.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My first thought was I’d stay in the lounge. Then Canucklad mentioned Al Capone tour. Now I’d go just for that!

Tim2soza
    Participant

I concur with canucklad, adding that a drink or a meal overlooking the lake is all part of it. If you want to de-risk the travel time a bit, try Schaumburg which is a 20 min taxi ride away. Cinemas, a good shopping mall (Woodfield) and plenty of places to eat. It’s a new town and walkable once you are there. There are back routes in if the highways are busy.

Domestic security in T3 can be variable and there are several access points.

batterytraveller
    Participant

Hop on the blue line down to Logan Square and go to Longman and Eagle. Wonderful (very meaty) menu, fantastic cocktails. My standard for a long layover in Chicago.

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks, all, for your advice here

We too have an extended layover (10.00 – 18.00) coming up in Chicago and I was going to ask much the same questions. There will be 4 of us – train or taxi?

Tim2soza
    Participant

TominScotland – Train. Traffic is hard to predict. Very M25 ish.

batterytraveller
    Participant

The blue line is predictably slow. Taxis are a real crapshoot.

M.Moose
    Participant

Thanks everyone. Will explore some of the options. I like modern architecture / buildings. Probably couple it with a simple and nice lunch somewhere. River (view) looks good.

Doubt I’ll stay in the lounge 😀 good to know there are nearby options.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls