Checking in a computer – any advice?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My youngest has a gaming computer he wants to bring with him to S. Africa. This a full sized desktop and not a laptop.

Does anyone have any experience of this?
    Did it arrive ok? Our route is MXP-ZRH-JNB-GRJ.
    Was it packed into your luggage or checked in seperately in its own box.

I’ve been told to remove the hard drive but someone said due to the magnets it will be confiscated.

Any advice / experiences would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

LP.

SimonS1
    Participant

The letters JNB set alarm bells going big time for me.

I had a colleague who took a computer box in his suitcase through JNB to Gaborone and it was gone on arrival (although having to collect and re-check the bags in JNB might reduce the risk).

Could you send it via DHL?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If the desktop is just a gaming computer with no personal or school work data – I would box it up and check it in, making sure you have a list of games and software.

Presumably it will be fully insured….. and Junior Pirate will have a back up..

Does it really matter if it goes missing….

LuganoPirate
    Participant

We will collect it in JNB and I’ll insure it with Swiss on check in. First baggage is collected seperately by Swiss staff and they wait with it till it’s collected.

We’ll put it in a suitcase and pack clothes around it so they won’t see it’s a computer.

It will be backed up and it would matter if it went missing as it’s brand new.

I’m actually more worried about the hard disk and security.

Thanks anyway Simon and Martyn.

KarlMarx
    Participant

I’ve been told to remove the hard drive but someone said due to the magnets it will be confiscated.
    ++++++++++

Don’t understand this comment, as I carry a 2.5″ external hard drive with me regularly and even leave it in my hand luggage through security.

mroo_ywg
    Participant

Ditto KarlMarx. I always carry an external drive with me and have not had a problem. Security may however do a swab test for explosives.

SimonS1
    Participant

LP – the issue there is that anyone who puts it through an X-ray will clearly see what it is. However I don’t think SA is one of the countries that X-rays before (or after) reclaim.

BugAdvisor
    Participant

A couple of years ago I took a full-size PC tower LHR-PRG as hand luggage. It fitted nicely in one of those large Sainsburys bags. Back then T3 fast track security were particularly jobsworthsy, but even they didn’t blink as I put it through.
    There is a requirement now that all electronics must be capable of being powered on – not sure what that means for a device that requires external power.
    Last week I took an external hard drive in my checked luggage and didn’t take it out – no problems there either.

nibbler
    Participant

I haven’t ever had to remove a hard drive; regularly check in several. Often take a macpro with me on my travels especially to India where the fast reliable internet outside of the country remains a dream in someones fibre. I use a large pelican case (which comes with decent padding already in it.) Mine has 2 padlock slots which you can get TSA locks for. It floats (sometimes useful in india 😉 otherwise its very rigid and the foam on the inside you just cut to shape and you are safe.

You can jump on the case its very strong – though have had issues from some security agents as they use pelican cases for weapons; tbh thats a sales win from my point of view.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Simon et al. I’m not worried if they see what it is, and the data is mainly Juniors games and schoolwork so nothing essential. I was mainly worried that the shock of the computer being thrown around may cause the heads to move and damage the hard drive.

I just spoke to Swiss and they tell me no problem from their side to check it in, either in a suitcase or its box, but they take no responsibility if it’s damaged or stolen. neither can you take extra insurance at check-in as it won’t be covered.

We’ve now decided to remove the HDD and put it in an External HDD Enclosure which I just bought and carry this in the hand baggage. The computer itself we’ll pack in a large Samsonite padded with clothes and try and get fragile stickers put on. I’m not too worried (touch wood) about theft and there’s nothing that can really break now, so fingers crossed and I’ll let you all know how it went end of this week!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Checked in ok and hard disk passed through without even a mention. Let’s see how it arrives!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Now sit back and enjoy the flight….

Safe travels LP..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Delighted to report that we and the computer arrived fine. It must have been subject to considerable force as the processor heat fan and the graphics card were both out of their sockets, but no damage done.

Put them back and put the HDD back in and started up perfectly. Thanks to all for advice and words of comfort!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls