Check-in Times and Procedure at LHR (BA)

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi All,

Just a word of advice needed, please.

I am flying BA Club Europe later this week.It’s an early morning flight to a European destination.

a) How long beforehand should I check in?

b) As the VeriFLYER app is a total disaster, should I bring a paper copy of my negative PCR test with me (showing the QR code)?

c) Is there anything else I need to bring (apart from the obvious like passport!)?

Sorry for the basic questions, but this is my first trip out of the UK for over 18 months and I am somewhat rusty…

Many thanks,

Simon

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

Are you a UK citizen or EU citizen? Just be sure you have all your proper docs for your final destination. If you’re fully vaxxed, I would bring your vaxx card too.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Simon, I am ‘regular traveller’ having been to T5 twice in the past 18 months 🙂

On both occasions BA had plenty of staff on hand and security was flowing quickly too. I did check a bag in on both occasions – just don’t want the hassle anymore of having to take carry on through an already overworked security checking area. (using GEGO tracker)..

I have a wallet folder in my briefcase, with all the proof of vaccines certificates I need, plus a print out from gov.co.uk of current test requirements for the destination… more in hope that is has not changed. Also now include a paper print out of my itinerary and hotel reservations… not that this is required or needed…. but it’s there just in case.

I have a 9.30 am flight coming up, still plan to enter T5 by 7.45 am.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I am a UK citizen. I will have my vaccination details with me anyway, but unfortunately being double-vaxxed makes no difference at all to the entry requirements of the country I am visiting.

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Martyn,

Many thanks as ever.

Will BA accept a paper print out of my PCR test, given how crap VeriFLY is?

Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Will BA accept a paper print out of my PCR test, given how crap VeriFLY is?

I cover all odds Simon. Have it on my apps and paper print outs. Plus don’t forget the day 2 test code to include on your locator form when returning.

With regards to the ‘PCR test, don’t get suckered into buying the most expensive… get the one you ACTUALLY need… if its needed…

dutchyankee
    Participant

If I may tag on to this question, I am transiting through Heathrow, only remaining airside, and I understand I still need a PCR test even though fully vaxxed. Is there a specific test that the UK authorities require/accept or antigen is fine?

Many Thanks in advance

MartynSinclair
    Participant

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england#type-of-test

I am not brave enough or qualified enough to suggest or recommend a specific test. Instead refer you to gov.uk (apologies for the incorrect web address above). All I know is firms are very quick to flog you the most expensive test (necessary or not) and very few if anyone is willing to advise you which test is actually needed and when to take it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Duthyankee – don’t take this as gospel, but my understanding is that it needs to be a PCR test to get into the UK. As Martyn says, the gov.uk site should help.

Simon

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Martyn,

In terms of the PCR test (for outbound), I used ExpressTest, as they were a mid-priced option on the BA list, with a discount. Cost me £56.00.

I opted for an on-site test, to minimise risks of postal delays (I fly later this week). I did a walk-through at BHX. However, they were fairly shoddy. I booked and paid for the test on Sunday evening and received a confirmation email. This said I would receive another email with a QR code within 30 mins. The test was last evening.

I did not receive the QR code by email and, through their (ExpressTest) website, asked for it to be resent. By 90 minutes before the test, I still had not received it. I then rang then and they said they would have to “escalate” this and it would take up to 2 hours. As you know, Martyn, I live fairly close to BHX, but this was tight timing. In the end, I received the QR code my email about 10 minutes before the test time.

This did not exactly install confidence in the Company, and it will be interesting to see if I get the results by 22.00 this evening, as promised.

For this reason, I selected another provider, Qured, for the 2 day test. The price was similar and I don’t have to fret too much about potential postal delays, as the kit should be with me when I get back.

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Oh, a further point.

The country I am travelling to requires pax to fill in a Passenger Locator Form on-line before departure, including an upload of the test result QR code. The uk.gov website was not aware of this requirement, and it was only because the (otherwise useless) VeriFLY app pointed this out, that I discovered the requirement.

I have learned that the UK advice may not always be up top date, and the advice on the destination country’s applicable website should be studied. Live and learn, I guess.

Interestingly, the country in question only publishes its advice for visitors in its native language, which is probably the one language that is useless to the vast majority of people who are visiting that country……. The Passenger Locator Form itself is, thankfully, in English.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller September / October 2021 cover
Business Traveller September / October 2021 cover
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls