Check in oddity with British Airways at Mumbai (BOM)

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Arrived into BOM from Colombo in the early hours. Four hours sleep before returning to the airport for the 10.15 to LHR.
    Checked in online and printed boarding pass (mobile boarding passes not issued but was instead sent Email link to enable self print).
    Head direct to security..no issues. Queue in immigration about 30 mins so, not too bad but, get to the front to be told “this boarding card not accepted, go back to BA desk”.
    No point in arguing so, kind of annoyed, I head back out of security and back to check in.
    I’m told by the check in supervisor “sir, it clearly states that you have to go to the counter”.
    Show me, I said, where?

After much scrutiny of both the boarding pass and the email from BA they admit that it doesn’t say anything at all.
    Long story short, more than an hour wasted and when I should have been enjoying coffee in the lounge, I’m queuing for security again.

Can’t understand why there was no mention of this from BA?
    Why send a link and allow you to self print when the airport doesn’t accept self print?
    Confused?
    I most certainly am.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be great if in a few days time you received an email apologizing for the inconvenience, thanking you for pointing it out and it will be rectified by such and such a date. I know probably dreaming. Whatever happened to the video booths you could visit after a flight at LHR and record praise and/or criticism. I have never used one then again I avoid BA long haul unless as other posters have commented the fare is just to good to miss. Maybe the criticism was so large it crashed the system. Finally as with so many issues the devil is in the detail. The small irritations can have a larger impact than the big ones.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

CathayLoyalist2

Having said that (and I completely agree with you), I decided to use Cathay for Saturday’s flight from MAN to HKG instead of BA and I can’t use mobile or online check in??

Mobile App says “App unable to help with check in” and Online check in, when you get right to the final page says “The connection to the service is lost. Please try again. If the problem persists, please proceed to the airport where our check-in staff will be happy to help you”.

Baffled…..

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Unable to edit the above so, just to confirm, I got through to Cathay who informed me that both online booking systems were ‘Down’ and had been for 3-4 days so it isn’t possible to check in.

No notice of this failure on their website though which I find very strange – I should imagine they are getting numerous calls about this….

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Seasonedtraveller, indeed odd that said over the years Asian airlines are not good at saying sorry when things go wrong. I had always felt CX were better at it. Remember the debacle when many years ago when SQ launched their new website and it was a disaster for almost 6 months. Nothing from SQ high command and no doubt heads rolled. The admission of failure is not in the Asian mindset. Although I do not use the CX app I have seen ongoing wrath from passengers describing the non-performing app as a disgrace. I know the CX Regional GM here so will escalate to him. Hopefully it had got some clout to at least get something on the website, I incidentally I flew Madrid-HKG-SIN on Tuesday and checked in online for both sectors. Maybe it is a localised problem.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls