Cheap Premium Fares – again

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• Anonymous

Grandholmrobbo
    Participant

Sorry to repeat earlier posts, but I need reminding how to get good discounts on Premium Economy and Business flights to US.
    We are travelling as a family of 4 and I know that there are discounts out there, I would just apreciate your esteemed assistance to point me in the right direction.
    Thanks.

Hess963
    Participant

Have not you tried BT Plan&Book–it is good as you can see the different web travel agents and consolidator agents in one page where you can compare the prices.

If this is not suitable or enough–try other online travel agents like Trailfinders, Netflights, Travelocity, Orbitz etc.. Do not forget to browse to your favourable airline websites as they may have any specials only to be seen there specifically or as a member of their freqeunt flyer programme.

Good Luck !!

Grandholmrobbo
    Participant

Thank you.
    I have been trawling the normal airline websites etc., no sales on at the moment by the look of it, e-bookers seem good, any experiences with them? Just scared I book via the wrong site as well.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

John.
    I am sure people will be able to better help you if you let us know when you are travelling, your UK departure point (I assume you are leaving from a UK airport ?) which route(s) you are taking and if you would be happy to take an indirect, rather than a direct flight.

Grandholmrobbo
    Participant

Thanks again.
    We are looking at flying 05th June Aberdeen to Miami, returning 19th June.
    Probably Premium Economy, I would reckon Business would just be pushing it a bit for the 4 of us, all adults by the way, was easier when they were younger.
    We don’t really mind the routing, just couldn’t face economy, especially on the way home, my wife and I usually travel business, but thought with the 4 of us we could compromise.
    We’ve got Flying Blue miles for one business class on AF, but they don’t seem to have their Premium Economy loaded into their system yet, or not available on that route.
    I’ve got some Air Miles, but they don’t seem to manage to give us availability in Premium Economy.
    Virgin’s website crashes every time I put in Aberdeen for some reason.
    I just seem to be hitting a brick wall.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for the additional info.
    Really, it’s too far ahead to be looking at any sort of seat sale.
    Airlines tend to finalise pricing nearer departure when they see how well their flights are loading.
    In which case, you ought to get a better idea of pricing if you wait until early 2010.
    Had you been travelling at Christmas or Easter then, yes, it would have been wise to book well ahead.
    According to this news item, AF says it will complete fitting its PE seats by the end of 2010 but no info is yet available as to when this product will be inroduced on the Miami route. Let’s hope it’s available when you make your trip.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/air-france-unveils-premium-voyageur-seat

Grandholmrobbo
    Participant

Thanks again, this is helpful.
    I never seem to book at the right time, always scared that the flights I have my eye on are full, it has happened to me quite a lot when I’ve been hoping for a deal.
    I’ll see what happens at the beginning of the year, thanks again.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Many airlines, including Virgin and British Airways, have fare sales in the final weeks of December.

If you are looking to fly from ABZ Aberdeen to MIA Miami, via London, the BA can give you are through fare with a guaranteed connection at LHR and no need to change terminals.

You can get a 10% discount off all BA fares, which usually rises to 15% off during December, if you are a BA Shareholder of 200 shares by the first week in November.

However, I would prefer Virgin’s Premium Economy seat over BA’s.

If you want fly Virgin Atlantic longhaul, they do not fly ABZ to LON so your best bet is to get prices using http://www.virginatlantic.com from LON-MIA (or do they fly exLGW Gatwick?) and price the domestic sector separately. NOTE however that buying the two sectors separately likely means you will have to lug your bags and re-clear security at Heathrow and you ARE NOT protected onto the longhaul flight should something happen on the shorthaul sector outbound.

I would suggest, given your caution over booking, that you would be better off calling one of the travel agents which advertise in the back of Business Traveller (Americana are pretty good). You might find less expensive fares flying into TPA Tampa or MCO Orlando.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi John !!

I have two quotes for you under the above give infos–no guarantees !!

Netflights.com: ABZ-via LHR-MIA with BA in WTP 05.06.10/19.06.10

Price for each adult: 995,-GBP incl Taxes and Surcharges

Virgin Atlantic Site: same routings and date only domestic part will be with BMI in Y class and internat. portion in Prem Y class

Price for each adult: 1138,90 GBP incl Taxes and Surcharges

Hope it will help you and good luck !!

Hess

Grandholmrobbo
    Participant

Hess, thank you so much for taking the trouble to do this, much appreciated.
    As I said, I came across brick walls every time I tried to do this, maybe it’s me, but I expected this to be easier, I suppose domestic connections do complicate things sometimes.
    So, is the concensus that Virgin Premium Economy is best?

Hess963
    Participant

Well John–honestly !!

Comparing BA and VS here in these routes as lack of other potential good Prem Y like Air New Zealand etc.. I would say they are both fairly good. Regarding my Prem Y experiences with BA and VS–they actually do not differ that much. Perhaps that in two flights with BA the F/A are more attentive and helpful to my needs. But as I have said before–they are pretty in the same level actually.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Hess.

These Netflights rates appear attractive but are actually based on normal PE excursion prices.

Last April (for outbound travel from LHR between April 14 and June 23) VS had seat sale rates in PE of £659 return.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/specialoffers/pefivedayseatsale.jsp

Of course, this deal expired long ago but it gives travellers an idea of what a proper PE seat sale rate will be.

Hess963
    Participant

That is right. It really depends on luck to find the best available price for your trip. It is often too labour intensive to search every possible sales and best prices. Sometimes airlines come with promotions which you would not expect. You have to have the endurance to find those good things for you–and that is why it is great, if frequent users of BT like us share experiences and help each other–it would be easier and you learn to appreciate other common users and mates, instead of sniding and insulting each other and competing who will be the best blusterer of all.

PaulJennings
    Participant

I have found Trailfinders to be both knowledgeable and helpful. I almost always fly in business class and often on discounted tickets (I fall into the cheap but demanding category). If you want to get an idea of prices on a particular route you can check with ITA at http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/login – thanks to Vintage Krug for bringing this site to our attention.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls